Cannas

• 1 Replies

mrs bouquet

Cannas
« on: March 28, 2024, 23:37 »
I have never grown them before, but have bought some and different place and people are all telling me what soil to use in the prepared container into which I have put alot of crocks and a good helping of pea shingle
What next to get the soil right.  I currently have potting compost and horti grit.  Advice please.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Cannas
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 11:52 »
I have never grown them before, but have bought some and different place and people are all telling me what soil to use in the prepared container into which I have put alot of crocks and a good helping of pea shingle
What next to get the soil right.  I currently have potting compost and horti grit.  Advice please.  Mrs Bouquet

Cannas are very tolerant plants.  IMO they are best kept in large containers (5 gallons or larger) with drainage holes. Compost or soil should retain some moisture and be kept moist for optimum health (but the plants can survive and recover from dry conditions when necessary). Cannas can survive harsh winters (though I lost one in a container when we had a -14 °C freeze).  They do best with regular feeding of a balanced fertilizer during the growing season.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Storing Cannas

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 16:10
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 40 queries.