Letting the Chickens out this morning !

• 12 Replies

Bodger

« on: October 12, 2007, 09:44 »
Nothing unusual about that I know, after all I do the same everyday but this morning I had time to reflect on how lucky I am to live where we do.

I got up at around 6.30 am and left Kaz for a further half an hours snooze. The two Border Terriers hardly stirred from infront of the Rayburn as I went into the kitchen. Maggie gave me a quick look as if to say " what are you doing up at this hour you silly sod ?" and promptly went back to sleep. Its still just about getting daylight at this time of the year and I could hear the blackbirds singing in the garden.

In the summer as a policeman on nights, I always loved the sound of the blackbirds singing at around 4.30 am. I'd be walking around the huge miners housing estate in Biddulph and there seemed to be one on every chimney top. I loved their song but it also meant that I would soon be at home in bed.

I digress of course, so back to this morning ! It was dull and drizzily as I set out to feed and the dull conditions seemed to have had the effect of making everything quiet and still.
The first thing that I heard was the kronk of the ravens overhead. We've always had loads of them around here and yesterday whilst fishing with my friend we had been discussing them. He'd seen the Ravens that were around the pool and he went onto say how increasingly he was seeing more and more of them in his home county of Cheshire. The raven certainly seems to be expanding its range. Brian said that they'd started by nipping over the border but that some had actually decided to stay and were actually breeding now.

As I got to the first chicken pen I saw a lovely big frog hop a way ito the grass before either I or the chickens that were due out could get it. About seven or eight years ago I'd brought some frogspawn back with me from a fishing trip and dumped it into a small artificial pond that we have here. Every year since then we have had the frogs spawning in it. As I saw the frog, I smiled and wondered if its great grand pappy had made the journey with me in the bucket.    

As I let the rest of the chickens out , inspite of the fact that we havent got any water on the place I could hear a heron in the next field and i was pleased that I'd seen the frog hop under an old caravan that we have.
Obviously herons catch a lot of their food around water but you often see them standing like sentrys in the middle of stubble fields, they must be fancying worms for afters.
It takes me about 20 minutes to feed and water the chickens and cows in the mornings and most days its something I look forward to and everyday it makes me realise how lucky we are.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 09:50 »
being alive is such a pleasant experiance ,,,, innit  :D
still alive /............

Bodger

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 09:54 »
It sure is. My day out fishing yesterday was well worth it :D

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 09:55 »
so i saw .. stil waiting fer the beach report tho lol

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 12:21 »
WOW what a start to the day I'm envious

I love the quiet in a mornin' Everynow an then I try to get down the lottie early not to work just to wander round and enjoy the day waking up.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Selkie

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 13:13 »
yes, life's pretty good really :D

most days i do think how lucky peter and i are to be where we are, and to be living the kind of life we do.....contented sigh...

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 15:54 »
:cry:  I've still got another 30 years before I can retire *sniff*

You are so lucky to have that around you  Bodger  :D

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 17:09 »
Hi Bodger
Sounds like a wonderful start to the day.
A couple of weeks ago my other half and his sons (my step sons) spent a couple of hours wiring up an actuator for the pop hole and had great pride in annoucing to me that evening that I didn't need to bother getting my wellies on and locking up the girls for the night, or worrying about waking up early and letting them out.  The wonders of technology would do it all for me!  Living with three techno gurus does have its advantages but they can't understand why I ENJOY getting up early looking over the fields then wandering round to the chickens (cat in tow of course) and letting the girls out, watching them launch themselves off their ladder run onto their outdoor perch and give the wings a good flap before tucking into breakfast. Then its back in with the cat for his breakfast, being last on the pecking order its my turn for a cup of tea and sneak back to bed!  But putting the girls to bed is the best part of the day, they are in by 6.45pm sharp fussing around to get the best sleeping spot.  I always take time to have a chat to them (mad I know) and the three of them sit there looking out at me through the mesh window purring away at me and telling me all about the worms they caught that day.  Once they are locked up I can truly relax and enjoy a glass (or three) of red before bed. For me its what keeping pets is all about!

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 21:35 »
Hi Bodger!

What a wonderful start to the day!!! Sigh...
I do love getting up early an letting the chickens out and spending a few quiet moments watching them. Often at this time the deer are out, I have seen a beautiful stag in the  field recently not sure who was watching who! Truly special moment though.

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Letting the girls out!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 20:31 »
I so agree with you all, letting the girls out each morning is a real joy! I love to watch as they waddle out, the cockerel chooses his favourite and pursues her then works his way round the others before breakfast! A couple prefer their breakfast first so dart back in away from him but he finds a way!! Then as I wander back to the house, I'm usually greeted by two of our young peacocks who run over to checkout what the hens are doing and...is there any food they can steal! Then it's back to bed for another half hour knowing everyone is happy outside!

Even wet mornings are wonderful when you have chickens! Isn't life great?

Judi

Bodger

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 22:03 »
I'm a bit the same myself :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  I wish ! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 00:39 »
We got our girls in early August and have just spent our first wekend away.  We left them in the care of the eldest daughter and I had to ring her mobile every evening, ask her  to put it on speaker phone and was then able to talk to my girls and say good night to them.  My other half thinks I'm mad ... but I'm getting 5 or 6 eggs a day from 6 hens and happy hens lay eggs!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 18:29 »
Quote from: "Kym503"
We got our girls in early August and have just spent our first wekend away.  We left them in the care of the eldest daughter and I had to ring her mobile every evening, ask her  to put it on speaker phone and was then able to talk to my girls and say good night to them.  My other half thinks I'm mad ... but I'm getting 5 or 6 eggs a day from 6 hens and happy hens lay eggs!!!!

You're not mad Kym, just rosey like me  :roll:

question
letting my hens out in the morning

Started by jhub on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 20:00
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Letting chickens out of pen

Started by gracie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 07:53
by lucywil
xx
Letting my chickens roam?

Started by Feathers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 27, 2009, 11:50
by Beano
xx
Letting my chickens free range

Started by eggsfactor on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 22:50
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 33 queries.