Parsnip boost in October?

• 6 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Parsnip boost in October?
« on: October 06, 2019, 16:45 »
Good afternoon everyone, does anyone know of a feed that I can give to the parsnips for a bit of a boost for size and flavour?

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Parsnip boost in October?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 10:34 »
Unless you were very late getting them started they should be starting to think about dying back now, but a liquid tomato feed might help them bulk up a bit more (don't use a high nitrogen feed - that would encourage more leaf growth, possibly at the expense of the roots.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 16:56 »
Unless you were very late getting them started they should be starting to think about dying back now, but a liquid tomato feed might help them bulk up a bit more (don't use a high nitrogen feed - that would encourage more leaf growth, possibly at the expense of the roots.)

Dying back by now? Parsnips are sweeter after they have been subject to frost d(as far as I am aware) so they should be still growing! I expect to be digging up parsnips into January at the earliest. ??????

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 17:12 »
Many thanks for that info,. the parsnips have got a bit leggy and after taking down the netting (also from the black kale) the stems are a bit thin so I'll support them 'till Christmas.

Cheers. Tony.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 19:30 »

Dying back by now? Parsnips are sweeter after they have been subject to frost d(as far as I am aware) so they should be still growing! I expect to be digging up parsnips into January at the earliest. ??????

Quite right, i will keep mine going for a few months, not going to pull any for another couple of weeks, they'll provide a nice late winter root veg after the carrots have been used up.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 15:38 »
I'll dig one of mine up and point it in your direction, I've grown some long ones this year; they ought to stretch all the way to north Wiltshire from Birmingham. Grab the end and pull.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 17:05 »
I find that as Autumn progresses that the foliage starts to get straggly & I tidy them away to prevent slugs hid8ng in there but I leave the parsnips in the ground to continue their growth & get frosted, I sometimes get a few up if bad weather is forecast as a couple of years I’ve been caught out by very heavy frosts & not been able to get any up for Christmas dinner, shock horror, & had to resort to buying some. Some on our allotments dig tgem all up late October/November & freeze them just so they can clear their plots. I suppose it doesn’t  do for us all to be the same 😂
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Garlic in need of a boost?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 09, 2012, 20:24
by mattwragg94
xx
giving spuds a final boost ?

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 23:27
by solway cropper
xx
Parsnip seedlings/parsnip plants ?

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:44
by theothermarg
question
October

Started by Quants on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 30, 2014, 21:06
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 47 queries.