soup

• 26 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: soup
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 22:53 »
One of our favourites is brussel and bacon soup!  And Butternut Squash soup and Curried parsnip soup!   :D :D

digalotty

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 23:29 »
peas :) and herbs for flavouring
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 02:17 »
All the climbing shelling beans, had some wonderful soups toward the end of the summer in an italian style, fresh borlotti's, tomato glut was on, courgettes well into "courgette surprise" mode and the Onions etc wer coming out of harvest.... fresh basil, peppers  and the odd chili from the greenhouse, oregano and chives.... fit for a  king it was......

One tip once you've got to the stage that everyone that knows you is in hiding from courgette surprise... in an oven on a tray or trays roast  off an onion, some garlic,  any overripe tomatoes (any sort) you may have and a load of courgettes cut into 1/2" rounds. The courgettes want to be done fast and hot, you can pan-fry them if you prefer, but hot and fast. Then stick in a sauceepan with a little bit of stock, some salt, pepper, herbs to taste, smidge of sugar (for the toms), maybe some red wine.... let it seethe down on a low heat then run the lot through a blender, freeze in small portions and even ice-cubes... makes an excellent base for soups, curries and gravies, pasta sauces and if you do one that is rather more tomatoey pizza toppings and chillis.....

chrisc

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 08:54 »
No-one has mentioned sweet potatoes yet! Luvverly with leeks and onions.....

Yes.................but they're not easy to grow are they? shame :(

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 09:49 »
kale for broth

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 11:16 »
Blimey! all these lovely soup recipes,I'm starving  :blink:
I think I have one tom and red lentil with smoked bacon left in freezer..... ;)
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

stompy

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 11:32 »
Mixed veg soup, go to the plot grab a handfull of what evers left, steam, boil, or microwave then add stock and blend. MMM MMM MMM.

madcat

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 12:03 »
Can I add make sure you grow plenty of parsley?  Stalks in the stock and chopped as the garnish makes any soup special.  Herb celery -- did someone say that?  All the flavour but more accessible in smaller quantities. Chillies are good too - give a soup an extra flip. 

I make soups with about 3/4 of the recipes stock, liquidize them and freeze in the big (1kg) yogurt tubs.  then when I defrost I add the extra stock and there is 2 very generous or 3 normal or 4 starter portions ready to go.  What would I do without it some weekend lunches?  Just heaven! 8) 8) 8)

Oh and keep your eyes out in the supermarket for cheese at its sell by date on the bargain counter.  Into the freezer and then you have the necessary at short notice to put the brie in courgette and brie, stilton in with apples or pears, parmesan in with ....  you get the drift.   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 12:57 »
You definitely need to grow the Mirepoix (say Mear Pwa) ( Onion, Celery & Carrot) to use for the stock for a really good soup.

Some times you are too busy and don’t have time to do the full on stock for a soup.  To “cheat in” some extra depth of flavour make sure that you sweat (cover) the onions on a very gentle heat for a good 25 minutes in a little salt & pepper and oil.  Check on them from time to time to make sure they don't burn.  The cooked onions  go translucent and are lovely and sweet and give any soup a real depth of flavour, even when the stock cube is coming to your rescue.  This method works really well with all chicken soups and vegetable soups with only a few ingredients.

Never forget the herb dumpling!  It can be made in batches and frozen if necessary.  Play around with them.  I love the sage dumpling or tarragon dumplings in chicken soup but lemon grass and coriander dumplings are a real treat too.

Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 01:39 »
Ask someone to buy you Delia's soups book for your birthday (or just look them up on her website).  She has fantastic soup recipes for carrot, asparagus, curried parsnip (my favourite), leek, onion, potato, pea, watercress, mushroom, tomato, bean, pumpkin, celery, spinach, courgette, cauliflower - basically, you name it and you can make soup from it!

Christine

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 18:42 »
Swede, khol rabi to go with onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, pearl barley and red lentils. Winter standby. Parsnips and potato. Florence fennel is also good in a general root soup.

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 10:57 »
Cauliflower and stilton's one of my faves,
Also celeriac with a splash of pernod and cream Mmm
I agree with the parsley statement, can't beat a handful of fresh parsley in most soups
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

xx
Rhubarb Soup.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 08:50
by DD.
xx
Nettle soup!

Started by Greengiant152 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 12:05
by Growster...
xx
Growing more soup

Started by RichardA on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 00:08
by Trillium
xx
Dandelion Soup

Started by JimG on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 05:23
by JimG

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 38 queries.