Condensation on the windows

• 3 Replies

mrs bouquet

Condensation on the windows
« on: December 08, 2022, 14:59 »
I dread getting up knowing I have got to deal with the dripping wet windows.  Even after wiping and drying them down, within about 1 hour it is creeping on the windows again.   I don't remember it being this bad before.  I admit I don't run my Ebac dehumidifer now.  Last year and previously it was on all night.  Too much to run it now.     My front door is powdered alluminium.  I have now got a quote to have  a new plastic one fitted.   Also my carport replaced.  It runs long the side of the house covering front door, bathroom and loo and the side kitchen window.  I am sure that made a difference and I do miss it.
My Son suggested that I should consider gifting money, but since neither him or my daughter do anything for me (and she lives next door), I have decided to spend it on my own comforts.
I have got a couple of those salt filled collectors, but now the salt sack is too heavy for me to lift, so I have to scoop it out  ::)
So if you have got any ideas, please tell me,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

Re: Condensation on the windows
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 15:21 »
It's caused when warm moist air hits a cold surface. The cold air can hold less water so deposits on the windows.  We're pumping water vapour into the air constantly just by breathing, cooking, boiling the kettle etc, You can either remove the water vapour from the air which is what your dehumidifier is doing (it works the same way as the window but collects it in a bucket). Keep the window glass warmer so condensation doesn't form on it or exchange the warm moist air with the cold dry air from outside.

Make sure you haven't blocked up your air bricks or vents and if you're double glazing has a vent make sure it's open, good ventilation will help a little. Otherwise, it's a case of heating the house more, surely that's cheaper than additional building works.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 09:34 »
We get condensation in our bedroom overnight it means we are breathing   :D
Solution is to remove it with our Karcher window vac & repeat if required.
Not sure if there are other brands but this is brilliant.
Much easier than previous methods.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 09:35 by Hampshire Hog »
Keep digging

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 14:23 »
Do you have double glazing Mrs B? Are they new or old units, it could be they need replacing. Ours are around 5yrs old but we still get condensation, this morning it was right up the windows and we have thick roller blackout blinds and curtains aswell. We have found keeping the bedroom door pushed too causes more condensation so it's left open now and normally it's not too bad, but I think as it was down to -4⁰c last night that's why it's bad today.

xx
Condensation

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post September 25, 2018, 15:02
by Goosegirl
xx
Windows XP feature.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post July 14, 2021, 22:37
by grinling
xx
Cleaning windows...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

21 Replies
Last post November 02, 2021, 13:01
by Goosegirl
xx
Printing using Windows 10.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2021, 15:09
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 42 queries.