Wood Bark or not in run

• 18 Replies

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
Re: Wood Bark or not in run
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 12:11 »
Hi Dickie, Ive also used bags of wood chips in my outdoor run as it was so muddy. Infact ive used several bags and it seems after a few months it disappears completely. When it comes to digging the run over the chooks have burried it where they love to dust bath in it, so you have to throw some away or it piles up too much.It also seems to attract loads of worms and often see my chickens with their heads cocked to one side listening then they grab them before the others get a look in. Always smells nice when you turn it over though.
Maureen

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 12:56 »
I buy from a local tree surgeon at £10-£20 per truck load.  Theres so much wood chip there it takes 2 of us 5 hours to move it from the driveway to the allotment in wheel barrows.  The chips are quite small and do compost down well after use.

I have found this to be by far the  cheapest way to cover the run floor and you get a great mulch/compost out of it as well for your plot!

Sassy

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 09:25 »
i am going to buy their wood chips in a min do i need to cover the whole run??? it is 28 sqr meters that will cost me millions lol

I suppose it depends on the size of your run. Mine are kept within a 50metre electric fence and it is only the area immediately around the coop that gets really muddy! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 12:35 »
We barrowed out the bark in the end and put down shingle stones/small pebbles, cost £32 for half a ton and its covered about 3" deep, easy to keep clean by hosing down every few days, definitely the best way for us anyway.  alison

xx
wood bark

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 17:34
by kittyb
xx
Wood/Bark chips

Started by slowef on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2007, 21:11
by Aunt Sally
wireless
Which bark/wood chips for chickens

Started by SamT on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 10:08
by evie2
xx
Wood chippings or bark mulch?

Started by Oboejane on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 16:17
by feelingbroody

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 38 queries.