NO SLUGS?

• 21 Replies

Scribbler

NO SLUGS?
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:16 »
Is it just me, or are there not so many slugs around this year so far?

I'd welcome any thoughts on this. Last year every time I found a slug I cut it in half with my penknife. Rather grisly I know, but there were hundreds. This year I couldn't face such a barbaric behaviour pattern again, so decided I'd wait and see what happened before getting some environmentally friendly slug pellets. But so far, only a couple.

So either:

a) I killed so many last year that they didn't lay eggs and the numbers were reduced, or

b) the lack of penknifed slugs has not attracted other slugs from neighbouring gardens - slugs do eat dead slugs

Of course I could be speaking too soon, as it hasn't really got hot and wet yet, and they are just hiding...

Little b*stards.

Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: NO SLUGS?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:21 »
I think the winter cold killed a lot of them :) and the dry weather (here at least!) has stopped 'em in their tracks :D
But i do notice that as soon as it rains they venture out to eat my veg :(  so although i don't like to keep watering with the hose (on a meter >:() having very few slugs is a bonus this year. After last year i was thinking of buying nematodes, but haven't needed them :) Even the spuds have had no slug damage YAY.....all the more for me :lol:

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:25 »
Yes I think there are noticeably less this year too. I've been killing them as I see them, or aleast that was up until there was a posting on here about the good guys - the leopard ones- so I've relented a bit, as they seemed to be the main ones . They still get disposed of if they come in my kitchen tho >:(

mark.carline

• Experienced Member
    • Photo Album
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 13:27 »
me too - not as many this year :)
"I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 13:46 »
Definetly alot less, but I put it down to having a clean plot this year compared to last, not so many places for them to hide!

What are the 'good guys' I didn't realise that there was such a thing with slugs

Minty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 14:09 »
I'v noticed a lot less this year but put it down to the fact that we have resident toads this year.

barney rubble

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 14:14 »
Definetly alot less, but I put it down to having a clean plot this year compared to last, not so many places for them to hide!

What are the 'good guys' I didn't realise that there was such a thing with slugs

I've been trying to find the post it was in, but haven't had any luck so far. But somebody posted a pici and some info on one that was good for your garden - I thought it was a leopard slug, cos of its markings, but not sure. Can anyone else remember the post?

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 14:24 »
Definately a lot less this year IMO, I have fewer in my garden for sure and my MIL commented on it too - she lives just up the road.  I've hardly seen any on my plot but this is my first year so........  Fewer snails too.  The numbers in greenfly are making up for it though!!!!!!!!!!!
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Minty

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 14:29 »
Perhaps people have been following HFW's slug recipies from River Cottage the other week and that's why there arn't so many around. :ohmy:

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 14:35 »
Perhaps people have been following HFW's slug recipies from River Cottage the other week and that's why there arn't so many around. :ohmy:

I missed that one.........thank goodness :ohmy: :wacko:

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 14:45 »
Maybe the nematodes I applied spread further than I expected??

Seriously, how typical I spend £20 and it sounds like I needn't have bothered - and here's me thinking how good them nematodes were!!

Casey76

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 14:48 »
That's cos they've all migrated to the Alsace  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :mad: :mad: :mad:

My poor dahlias are nothing but stalks.

I keep a half bucket of salt water in the garden and dump any I find in there.  They are nasty orange burgers too.  Their slime rivals Pritt glue for stickiness, and it is impossible to wash off - it seems to repell water completely, even soapy water.  you have to let it dry and then pick it off (like that old fashioned school glue ;))

Could you take them back please????????

barney rubble

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 15:57 »

I've been trying to find the post it was in, but haven't had any luck so far. But somebody posted a pici and some info on one that was good for your garden - I thought it was a leopard slug, cos of its markings, but not sure. Can anyone else remember the post?

found it !

http://naturenet.net/blogs/index.php/2007/09/03/slugging_it_out

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 19:16 »
Our gardens really wet - last year we had more slugs than grass. This year far fewer, I thought it was cos we put a compost bin in and theyve all gravitated there (its where the unlucky ones that get spotted end up too - put 'em to work  ;) !). Check out Barneys link above about the leopard slugs - they may be good guys, but the whole mating thing is truly gross - I keep imagining walking into one hanging from a tree!!  :ohmy:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 20:12 »
Our gardens really wet - last year we had more slugs than grass. This year far fewer, I thought it was cos we put a compost bin in and theyve all gravitated there (its where the unlucky ones that get spotted end up too - put 'em to work  ;) !). Check out Barneys link above about the leopard slugs - they may be good guys, but the whole mating thing is truly gross - I keep imagining walking into one hanging from a tree!!  :ohmy:
If you put them in your compost alive.....they will only slime their way out again :ohmy:....seedlings are sweeter and tastier than composted stuff you know!

xx
slugs

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:38
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Slugs!

Started by HaggisWhisperer on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 23:56
by aubergine
xx
slugs

Started by davmabz on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 09:47
by tabbycat
xx
Slugs......HELP me please...

Started by dionne on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 22:20
by gobs

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 37 queries.