Raspberries problem

• 6 Replies

skinupthen

Raspberries problem
« on: July 13, 2010, 14:53 »
Hi all

I seem to have a problem with my raspberries. About 3 weeks ago the leaves started to turn yellow and then brown. I have fed them with both comfrey tea and organic miracle grow but they dont seem to have responded. Now the fruits have ripened they are all covered with like powdery mould.

Anyone have any ideas? I have read the thread about making the soil more acidic..... might give that a try this afternoon. I have abviously lost this years crop but hope I can cure the problem so I dont have to dig the whole lot up
plants.jpg
fruit.jpg

SarahB

• Experienced Member
Re: Raspberries problem
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 15:21 »
Be interested to know what this, too - a couple of mine are on the way, the rest are absolutely fine.  The two affected are in the same part of the bed, and one is quite stunted, made me think it might be something in the soil...

Livinhope

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 15:31 »
I've had this happen in the past.  I don't know the answer but would it be anything to do with lack of water?

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 15:38 »
This year's fruiting canes will start to die off but not quite this fast or dramatically. Yellowing leaves is usually a sign of nutrient deficiency so something like pelleted chicken manure or an aged manure slurry applied with a nozzle-removed watering can should help. Any of the sulphate additives will also help green up the leaves as well as nitrogen based ones. It could also be the water they get, if any. Raspberries are very thirsty plants during production times and tap water is too alkaline for them. If that's all you have, then add a few tablespoons of plain vinegar to the water can as raspberries prefer more acidity but not to the level of blueberries. Acidity will help unlock availability of nutrients to the roots.
Also, if you've added any mulches like fresh grass or wood chips, they'll rob the nitrogen from the soil to decompose. Straw and some peat moss mixed in are better as the peat will help lower the pH.
As for the moldy berries, raspberries ripen quickly and just as quickly turn, so you'll need to be more diligent at picking. After the season finishes, dig deep in a few trouble areas to see if there's a drainage problem or rubbish blocking the roots or whatever. I found a big anthill in one area causing trouble for me.
In fall, give the whole raspberry area a nice layer of aged manure with a dusting of ammonium sulphate and it will have the winter to sink in and be ready for next season's growth.

Here's a bit more info:
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problem-solving/raspberry-nutrient-deficiency/

SarahB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 16:05 »
I found a big anthill in one area causing trouble for me.
I wonder if that could be the problem?  The raspberries affected are closest to a raised bed where I found a colony of red ants, which I disturbed so much they moved on.  Perhaps they didn't move that far!

All mine are getting dug out at the end of the season to be moved to a different part of the garden anyway, so I'll have a poke around then and see if there are any other problems.

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 16:38 »
If its any help at all I feed mine with rhodendrum feed, I read to do this somewhere.  As you are probably aware rhodendrum like acid conditions.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 18:37 »
I agree with previous comments on nutrient defficiency and with the proposed actions.

Not wholly convinced that your berries have a mould problem - the berry in the picture is certainly overripe as it is starting to fall away from the core.

Do you know what variety you have? Some varieties have a natural bloom that looks a bit like a powdery coating. You could search google images for raspberry tulameen - one variety that carries a bloom - and then compare with your berries.

Brian

clip
Raspberries problem

Started by bhwh on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 13, 2019, 18:08
by Christine
xx
Grape vine problem and pea problem

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 12:17
by Ma Lowe
xx
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2019, 07:53
by snowdrops
xx
new raspberries

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 17:18
by Trillium

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 39 queries.