Chicken staying in a neighbours coop!

• 8 Replies

Mrs Mant

Chicken staying in a neighbours coop!
« on: July 18, 2012, 08:42 »
Morning all,

I have had 2 chickens for the past 3 1/2 years and they both get along fine together.  They have 4 friends from a neighbouring farm and they will come and find one another when they are let out of their respective coops each morning.  They also get along fine with their 'friends'.  They have acres of field to explore with constant access to food and water at all times.  Suddenly, over the past few days 1 of my chickens has taken to sleeping in my neighbours coop.  My coop is the same style as theirs, it is clean, free from draughts, has a supply of food and water etc etc.

The first time I was aware of this is when she didn't come home one evening.  I had a good look round for her but when she couldn't be found, I put it down to a fox getting her.
They day after she appeared with her friends and carried on as though nothing had happened. I phoned my neighbour who confirmed they had 1 more in the coop the previous evening. I asked that when they closed their coop that evening , could they oust mine (hoping that she would find her way back).

On the 2nd evening I left my closing up until a bit later in the evening and still there was only 1 chicken.  It was late, so I didn't phone my neighbour.

Last night (3rd evening) still 1 chicken in the coop.  It was late again, but I did phone my neighbour who agreed to oust my chicken.  She called across the field that separates us that my chook was on her way back............15 mins later she still hadn't arrived. I phoned the neighbour again, who looked out of her back window to find my chook sitting on top of her coop.  I went to fetch her and physically carried her back to my coop.

I realise this is quite a long post, but has anyone any idea how to teach my chicken that her home is in my coop and not the neighbours?  Would keeping her in the coop for a couple of days work?

I look forward to your suggestions.......thanks  :)

Chicken star

Re: Chicken staying in a neighbours coop!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:20 »
I had this problem once with a few of my chooks nesting in my stables with the horses who weren't impressed.
I kept mine in the coop for 3 days and every morning gave them treats (warm porridge usually, it was winter though) it encouraged them to stay around and it hasn't happened since.
Good Luck!

Mrs Mant

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 14:54 »
Yes, that would seen like a good plan - I'll get the run set up and see how it goes over the weekend - thanks!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 19:58 »
Have you checked your coop for red mite? 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 10:26 »
Hi,
I have had the same problem with my leghorn who loves to sleep at my neighbours with their white leghorns.  My neighbour says that it is because she likes to be with similar hens, but to me it is very irritating as she will eat at mine and lay at the neighbours! The only solution I have found is to (Ground her) keep her in my run with my other three for a fortnight as if she was a new hen and then let them free range.  I also have left it later before locking the girls all up and some reason, she now comes back.  Good luck and let me know how you get on!  ;)

Mrs Mant

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 16:54 »
Thanks for all the advice. 

ANHBUC - Thanks for the tip - I have been extremely lucky, my husband built me a wooden ark and (touch wood!) I have had no hint of red mite over the past 3 1/2 years (have I now spoken too soon?!).

I have positive news, in that after just 1 day of staying in the coop/run my chicken has been coming back at night to my coop.  There's nothing more pleasing than seeing the two of them wondering down the field after a hard day with their friends, back to their own home!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 20:36 »
Glad you have had a good result.   :D

Chicken_Lover

• Experienced Member
  • R.I.P you two beautiful ladies:(
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 16:32 »
Yes, glad it ended happily :lol:

Has she continued to come back?  8)
1 Leghorn Cockerel, 2 Warrens, 4 Lemon Goldfish and 1 Jack Russell, One Big Party!!!!!! :D :D

Chicken star

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 22:12 »
Glad it has worked   :)

xx
chicken coop &run

Started by bowler on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 20:21
by splash101
xx
Chicken coop 8' x 6' £60.00!

Started by Missie on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 14:06
by Lastcast
xx
New chicken coop on the way

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 22:06
by JaK
xx
Chicken Coop

Started by Humbledoor on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 23:17
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.556 seconds with 38 queries.