a new idea on tom potting

• 14 Replies

prakash_mib

a new idea on tom potting
« on: April 16, 2011, 00:33 »
I am growing some toms for outdoor but as usual they need lots of potting.
I did this now potting 2 in a six inch pot. and I would say this would be last potting and the divider is just a newspaper folded and placed (full deep). Will post results on this later this year
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Growster...

Re: a new idea on tom potting
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:45 »
That's great tip Prakash!

I've never even thought of that one, and so much more economical on the compost!

And they'll surely get away quite comfortably as well!

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 07:42 »
Looks like It will be trying this as well for my outdoor tomatoes. What variety of toms have you used? :unsure:

prakash_mib

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 08:38 »
I am planting f1 incas, red alert and a seed from india. same set I grew last year.
f1 incas is the plum variety
but red alert and the indian toms had great taste!  :)

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:06 »
I am planting f1 incas, red alert and a seed from india. same set I grew last year.
f1 incas is the plum variety
but red alert and the indian toms had great taste!  :)

I have the F1 Incas plum too, will definitely give this a try. :D ( i will keep red alert in mind for next year ;) )

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 12:18 »
I think its counter productive 'coz I pot them on to give each plant more root space, and as they get bigger I stand them further apart so all the leaves get plenty of light - otherwise they grow tall and gangly. I also doubt the newspaper will be much of a barrier and when you come to plant them out the roots will have grown through and matted together

But if you are short on space its a fair plan :)

Swing Swang

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 16:26 »
Nice idea and will cause less root damage than cutting them up with an old knife (which is what I've tended to do. Thanks. SS

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 08:51 »
Is it important to re-pot toms more than once or twice?

Last year and so far this year I've been avoiding the whole thing as much as possible by only re-potting once. The toms aren't dead... but is this detrimental to their health or something?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 12:40 »
If you put them straight from, say, a 3" pot into a 9" pot there are two issues:

The roots will grow to the outside of the pot. If you pot them on an inch or two [larger diameter] at a time the roots will fill the new compost, and by the time they are in 9" their roots will fill the whole rootball.

Secondly, the 9" pot will have a lot of water relative to the size of the plant. It becomes very difficult to judge the watering process, and after watering the plants are in a "swamp" for a while. If you pot-on then you may have to water more often, but even immediately after potting-on the plant can drink the total water in the pot within a reasonable time (perhaps 1/2 a week max, and once the plant is ready to be potted on again it will drink it in a day, or less).

Potting on also provides fresh nutrients in the newly added compost - although you can simulate that with feeding of course.

There is a theory that potting on provides more open compost - as the compost compacts with watering, so maybe that additional of "air" helps too.

They also take up less space when they are in smaller pots.  That may be a consideration in a "fully loaded" greenhouse. By the time Tomatoes need more space other things will most probably have moved outside - such as Courgettes etc. being raised indoors until danger of frost is past.

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 13:27 »
If you put them straight from, say, a 3" pot into a 9" pot there are two issues:

The roots will grow to the outside of the pot. If you pot them on an inch or two [larger diameter] at a time the roots will fill the new compost, and by the time they are in 9" their roots will fill the whole rootball.

Secondly, the 9" pot will have a lot of water relative to the size of the plant. It becomes very difficult to judge the watering process, and after watering the plants are in a "swamp" for a while. If you pot-on then you may have to water more often, but even immediately after potting-on the plant can drink the total water in the pot within a reasonable time (perhaps 1/2 a week max, and once the plant is ready to be potted on again it will drink it in a day, or less).

Potting on also provides fresh nutrients in the newly added compost - although you can simulate that with feeding of course.

There is a theory that potting on provides more open compost - as the compost compacts with watering, so maybe that additional of "air" helps too.

They also take up less space when they are in smaller pots.  That may be a consideration in a "fully loaded" greenhouse. By the time Tomatoes need more space other things will most probably have moved outside - such as Courgettes etc. being raised indoors until danger of frost is past.

Thank you!

My laziness theory was that re-potting once, planting them in the finishing pot (huge) and putting it in the finishing spot in the GH saved time as well as making the place easier to organise.  Silly but I'm going to try this method this year. Luckily I still have some plants that haven't been re-potted yet. Wooo!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:51 »
Do some-and-some and report back?

I'm always a bit sceptical to discard something that gardeners have done for years, unless there is some evidence that the New Way is proven to be better :)

prakash_mib

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 09:17 »
space is an issue for me. and they are outdoor toms as well. two things came to my mind when I thought about this idea. the roots dont spread to whole as it would on a 6" pot and you get deeper roots they are deeper than a 3" pot (similar to the concept of root trainers). the paper I have put in is not just a single layer but a folded full sheet of paper.
I will certainly post the results, if I get any  :)

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 19:33 »
Do some-and-some and report back?

I'm always a bit sceptical to discard something that gardeners have done for years, unless there is some evidence that the New Way is proven to be better :)

Yeah, that's what I'll do. I had a thought today, what happens in the wild? Does something happen in the soil ? I mean is re-potting a natural process? something that happens in the wild or is it just what humans do to help nature along?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 19:47 »
I had a thought today, what happens in the wild? Does something happen in the soil ? I mean is re-potting a natural process? something that happens in the wild or is it just what humans do to help nature along?
Seed grows where seed falls.  Animals eat the plants. Not many survive. They don't have the same issues as potting on - the soil moisture is much more evenly distributed in the soil than in a pot. I grow my Tomatoes in the greenhouse border, I grew them in Pots (and Bags and Ring Culture) for years.  Growing them in the border is a lot less effort watering and feeding.

But the other half is maximising yield. Man gets a better plant out of a Tomato seed by potting on than not. And by feeding, selective breeding, and shared-knowledge about good husbandry etc.

That's the way I read the tea-leaves anyway!

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 21:57 »

Seed grows where seed falls.  Animals eat the plants. Not many survive. They don't have the same issues as potting on - the soil moisture is much more evenly distributed in the soil than in a pot. I grow my Tomatoes in the greenhouse border, I grew them in Pots (and Bags and Ring Culture) for years.  Growing them in the border is a lot less effort watering and feeding.

But the other half is maximising yield. Man gets a better plant out of a Tomato seed by potting on than not. And by feeding, selective breeding, and shared-knowledge about good husbandry etc.

That's the way I read the tea-leaves anyway!
[/quote]

Good point!

xx
Potting on

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 07:05
by Sadgit
xx
Potting up

Started by darthpaul on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 13:06
by darthpaul
xx
Is potting up really necessary?

Started by Freerider on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2007, 17:41
by Aunt Sally
xx
potting on?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 10:04
by Y.E.A.H

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 33 queries.