anyone got any dovecote plans please

• 22 Replies

philskin

« on: April 14, 2008, 18:57 »
Hello can you help, misses has finally lost it and wants a dovecote in the garden tried looking for plans but retired to me shed out of the way. She,s a lovely girl so i thought i would ask the folks on here to save my ears and sanity lol thanks phil the deaf hubby :D  :lol:  :idea:  :?:
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 20:29 »
I made one a few years ago I'll see if I've still got the plans and a pic. Can't promise I have but I'll look.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

new_2_veg

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 20:51 »
ive been looking for some plans, we have one in the garden i could take a photo as a guide if that helps
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 04:28 »
With all the flying rats about, are you sure you want a dovecote which would probably attract them as well?   :lol:

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 07:32 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
With all the flying rats about, are you sure you want a dovecote which would probably attract them as well?   :lol:

easier to cull in one place :wink:

i intended building one a while back, and did lots of research, im sure i have the plans somewhere, i'll try and dig them out. It was for 9 and was based on a traditional version so was big, could get up inside to tie the birds in for fattening up :shock: (remember they were a food source!)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

philskin

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 09:33 »
thank you   (  richyrich  new2veg  zac the rabbit )  never seen her so determind  but if it keeps her happy she wont object to me buying an air rifle lol, by the way trillium my 1st thought was the same as yours ha ha   .Never mind keep me busy in the winter thanks all new you wouldnt let me down

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 11:37 »
You don't need an air rifle just a pair of ladders long enough to get up to the dovecote, climb up there at night and do your culling, You will need to be hard hearted they breed like rabbits/rats, and they will interbreed with pigeons so your lovely white fantails end up with all sorts of offspring. They will be laying the next lot of 2 eggs before their other set of youngsters fly the nest! mine did, it's better IMHO to out the eggs before they hatch, I'm not soft hearted but it's not a pleasant job culling chicks  :(

Oh and you'll need to net it or cage the doves in until they start pairing and nesting else they may just clear off   :shock:

But they are lovely if I had more space I'd have them again  :D

paulc

Dovecote Construction
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:26 »
Well Philskin,  same problems here - She who must be obeyed also wants to see me go into dovecote production - I'm almost bannished until it comes to pass.  Yes I'm a new member - only picked up your link on Google and with your entry being only a few days ago - thought I would sympathise with you - and join - the garden shed here is not far enough away from where she abodes.  I drove 150 miles yesterday to have a look at one dovecote I could copy - now with 40 hours on the internet looking for designs and I am non the wiser - hopefully I will be finished before Christmas - cos it gets mighty cold amongst the flowerpots.  If you are interested in assemblying a flat pack one with interior made out of waterproof 18mm ply (wpb) and clad in ceder - traditional design - let me know - it may get you out of a problem. all the best - Paul

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 14:39 »
Hi Paul welcome to the forums  :D  Must find those plans and photo's  :roll:  else you lot may never surface again  :lol:

philskin

Re: Dovecote Construction
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 08:48 »
Quote from: "paulc"
Well Philskin,  same problems here - She who must be obeyed also wants to see me go into dovecote production - I'm almost bannished until it comes to pass.  Yes I'm a new member - only picked up your link on Google and with your entry being only a few days ago - thought I would sympathise with you - and join - the garden shed here is not far enough away from where she abodes.  I drove 150 miles yesterday to have a look at one dovecote I could copy - now with 40 hours on the internet looking for designs and I am non the wiser - hopefully I will be finished before Christmas - cos it gets mighty cold amongst the flowerpots.  If you are interested in assemblying a flat pack one with interior made out of waterproof 18mm ply (wpb) and clad in ceder - traditional design - let me know - it may get you out of a problem. all the best - Paul
                                                                                                                          not sure what you mean is the flat pack one any size have you got a piccy of one could well be a life saver here thanks    phil

philskin

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 08:50 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Hi Paul welcome to the forums  :D  Must find those plans and photo's  :roll:  else you lot may never surface again  :lol:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   help richyrich am getting covered in pots and seedlings in the shed cant open me camp bed any more lol   thanks richyrich looking forward  phil

paulc

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 14:44 »
Greetings to philskin and thanks to richyrich7 for your welcome.  She who must be obeyed (For those who live in ignorance She who must be obeyed is was the honour given to Rumpole of the Bailey's longsuffering wife - or was that the otherway around) has retreated into darkest Africa until the first dovecote comes of the production line - dread to think of the rat population increase - I hear they are quite nice roasted slowly on a spit, its the tails I have difficulty swallowing - or was that the doves, either way it may cut down the food run to ASDA.

Seriously though, the one I am working on will be dry assembled and then taken appart for varnishing and painting - here's the furniture maker coming out.  And at this point it could be flat packed and shipped with assembly instruction.  it will be a week to 10 days before the photos are ready.  At the moment, the plans are top secret and if divulged (she who must) will be taking off for the moon - may be that's no bad thing.  Will keep you up to date.  Regards,  Paul

philskin

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 14:52 »
hi all ive just bought some plans for the dovecote of the internet if anyone wants a copy give us a shout

philskin

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 12:58 »
hello can anyone help me please ive got the plans for the dovecote but there not very accurate about the inside, could anyone tell me what the interior is like thanks. ie is it just one open floor and another a bit higher or are there partitions thanks phil   ps this is for 2 pairs cheers

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 21:26 »
Can't find the plans or my photo's sorry  :(  The one I made was hexagonal, 2 floors with 3 pairs on each floor made from 3/4" matchboard for the outers 3 widths to a side interior I made from sterling board, but it would have been better with marine ply. Centre was had a hollow running thro' it for the post 5"x5", cant remember the height of each floor but don't think it was much more than 12". Have a look at this it was similar but I had made mine with a felt roof cut to look like shingles.

Each floor was divided into 3 partitions.

xx
Plans for......

Started by FatGaz on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post October 06, 2007, 23:00
by FatGaz
xx
plans for a henhouse pls

Started by poppie on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 17:26
by Vember
xx
Greenhouse plans

Started by The Red Baron on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 20:47
by The Red Baron
xx
Hen House Plans

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2007, 15:48
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 36 queries.