petrol strimmer advice please!

• 7 Replies

Sheena

• Experienced Member
« on: June 15, 2007, 19:39 »
I know this topic has been discussed before (I just searched) but I would like advice on some specific strimmers please. I have accumulated enough Nectar points to buy a strimmer from Argos but I have no idea if they are any good.

The two makes on offer are made by McCulloch,  and Spear and Jackson. I Don't know if they are any good or if I should avoid them altogether, please have alook at the link (there are 4) and tell me what you think?

Argos Strimmers
Organic :)

Sheena

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 20:21 »
I just found this ryobi one, do you think this is a better deal?

http://www.clearancebuys.co.uk/product.php?productid=16339&cat=0&page=1

shaun

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 20:59 »
hi sheena
the mcCulloch and the ryobi are both worth the money ive had a McCulloch chainsaw for around 10 years and all i have ever done to it is fill up with fuel and a new chain.the thing with 2 strokes is always get the fuel mixture correct and use a good 2 stroke oil,i use these one shots you cant go wrong .good luck
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TWO-2-STROKE-OIL-STIHL-BRAND-BOX-OF-TEN-LOW-PRICE_W0QQitemZ110138961205QQihZ001QQcategoryZ139887QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 21:14 »
Thanks for that sheena!!

Just ordered one! It is a bargain....should be around £150!!!
You can take a horse to water....but a pencil must be lead!!
(No chemicals ......yet!)

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 22:49 »
I've had a McCulloch brushcutter for 18 months and its great. The line it uses is 2mm I think, thicker than most, it's been used for clearing really overgrown vegitation using the blade supplied as well as normal strimming. I've never had any bother starting it, I would advise you to get a proper oil/petrol mixing bottle to make sure the mixture proportions a correct.

Spon

Strimmer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 17:14 »
One of my neighbours on the site has a Ryobi strimmer. He managed to break the starter pull cord and asked for my help. I have spent about an hour and a half this morning mending the machine and can confirm that it is not made to be taken apart on a regular basis.
As far as the operation of the machine is concerned, however, it appears to be able to stand a fair amount of abuse without complaint. This particular machine had been stored outdoors and all the casings were full of water! With the starter cord repaired, it started on the third pull of the handle!
Donald Cape has mentioned the use of thicker cutting cord. If you want to use thicker cord in the Ryobi, just drill out the holes to the size required - that is what my neighbour has done!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 23:01 »
Like most I have the McCulloch, been a good reliable machine, never a problem starting. If your not sure about the fuel mix then you can buy from B&Q etc the mixer bottles, you then just pour 1 litre of fuel into it and top the 2 stroke oil to the marked mixture, give it a shake and fill the strimmer.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GafferGamgee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 21:05 »
Been using the above strimmer (which I received today) down the plot....really good!
Well worth the money!

xx
Petrol strimmer advice

Started by Benandbill on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 18:53
by grendel
xx
Help/advice needed regarding petrol strimmer

Started by shamanik on Equipment Shed

18 Replies
Last post June 30, 2012, 15:11
by arugula
xx
Best Petrol Strimmer ?

Started by woodentop on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post July 14, 2017, 09:16
by Digger the Dog
xx
petrol strimmer

Started by flitwickone on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 09:38
by Flatcat

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.