Turning over turf and soil "easily" (without machinery)

• 3 Replies

RichardY

Turning over turf and soil "easily" (without machinery)
« on: September 22, 2016, 01:56 »
Was wondering if anyone has some ideas on turning over compacted clay and turf, essentially ploughing. I found 2 solutions on the Internet.

1) Was to use something called a "loy spade" used by Irish potato farmers, however I don't see any retailers that sell them.za3HAjcLpHU2) Is to use a long handle pointed spade, but pivot it on a wire-frame fulcrum. Like this.KAIJogtk3LY

Any other ideas? I've considered using a rototiller or a plough. But have tried using a trenching hoe/azada 6.5inch though the ground is too compact to break through the sod and lift easily, a mattock works better, but the handle is a little short for my liking, if it had no pick, but added weight on the adze that would probably be more ideal.

Swing Swang

Re: Turning over turf and soil "easily" (without machinery)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 06:27 »
Try the backsaver autospade. The first trench will have to be dug conventionally, but then it works beautifully. Although if you have really hard/compacted ground wait until it's wet but not soggy and only take small nibbles of soil or else you'll put too much strain on the mechanism.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 10:05 »
The backsaver autospade has been around for many years and must be good to still be in production. However, it will not turn over the turf and bury it neatly.

As has been said, let the soil get softer, or water it.

You could kill off the turf with glyphosate which would mean that completely burying would not matter too much. It would make the digging easier anyway.

Small cuts and not too deep. Dig a few rows every day rather than do it all at once
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:07 by Salmo »

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:08 »
Try the backsaver autospade. The first trench will have to be dug conventionally, but then it works beautifully. Although if you have really hard/compacted ground wait until it's wet but not soggy and only take small nibbles of soil or else you'll put too much strain on the mechanism.

I had a large area to do, much the same as your soil, Richard, and would also recommend a Backsaver, (or Terrex in old money) but as Salmo says, it's not as neat a result as the videos show.

However, there is so little bending involved with the Terrex, it makes up for speed, ease and comfort, but often leaves a bit of uneven ground here and there. But if you've knocked off the weeds etc beforehand, you'd be doing more to it in the spring anyway, so it doesn't really matter!

I'd also consider the fork attachment, as that would work well in clay.

http://www.dobies.co.uk/Garden/Garden+Equipment/Garden+Tools/Forks+and+Spades/Backsaver+Spade_580955.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwgo6_BRC32q6_5s2R-R8SJAB7hTG-O3hrB_1A-wj7d0KrVMWkFhA6n0QdapPegBLV3g0O5RoC4_rw_wcB

I didn't know that Dobies were doing these now, so it might be worth a look, but just about a hundred splonders is a bit of a gulp..;0)

xx
Salvia "Flower Child" and "Rose Queen"

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 09, 2020, 15:15
by mrs bouquet
xx
A friendly stork has brought me a Rosa "Sharifa Asma"

Started by JayG on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 20:00
by JayG
xx
Euonymus "Emerald and Green" Pruning advice please

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2018, 20:07
by Growster...
xx
Suggestions needed for a "special" plant

Started by GYO Girl on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 11:37
by Agatha

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 39 queries.