Grass paths and edges...

• 28 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Grass paths and edges...
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 16:59 »
Likewise with just the membrane  :)

Do you not find the membrane snags/gets tears in it though?

No, it was quite heavy duty and quite finely woven so doesn't tear, snag or fray at all.  Mind you, I haven't tried cutting it at one end so that hasn't given it the chance to fray there.

I can't remember if it's 1m or 1.5m wide; it was quite a few m long.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 16:59 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 17:07 »
Ok, thanks. I am still trying to decide on my paths :/ at the moment they are mud/weeds. My beds are edged with all the scrap wood and logs that were on the plot.

Gravel is out - too expensive
Woodchip is out - can't get any at a reasonable price
Carpet/cardboard is out as it looks horrid

I had pretty much settled for grass and was going to seed it this autumn but I am a bit worried about keeping it under control :/

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 06:22 »
Here are a few pics of the 'Patch' and the 'Plot', the latter has smaller paths for some reason...
P1110002 (575 x 431).jpg
P1110004 (550 x 413).jpg
P1110007 (550 x 413).jpg
P1110016 (550 x 413).jpg

cadalot

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 06:29 »
Nice photographs, it looks as if it works well.

How do you maintain the margin between grass and growing - do you put down boards and spray between to get the dead zone or is that just the width of the spray gun jet that is used?

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 06:39 »
Nice photographs, it looks as if it works well.

How do you maintain the margin between grass and growing - do you put down boards and spray between to get the dead zone or is that just the width of the spray gun jet that is used?

It's just a normal spray gun I use, Cadalot, with a long 'spray nozzle', and walked along each edge at about 6" off the ground! (No straight lines here, that's another story)!

It takes a while as there are over 400 yards of edge, but it saves time in the long run! I think eventually, the path grass (mainly couch), will die back further and make the growing area bigger, but we'll see!

cadalot

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 06:44 »
I couldn't be bothered with all that grass cutting, I have enough to do just fighting the weeds, I'm glad I went for woodchip.

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 06:46 »
I couldn't be bothered with all that grass cutting, I have enough to do just fighting the weeds, I'm glad I went for woodchip.

Half an hour max now, Cadalot, including the communal paths between plots, as the others don't do it! And you get round every bed for inspection!

compostqueen

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 10:03 »
Wood chip is not without maintenance issues. I have a wood chip path that has been entirely populated with strawberries. I'm not complaining though  :tongue2:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 10:06 »
Wood chip is not without maintenance issues. I have a wood chip path that has been entirely populated with strawberries. I'm not complaining though  :tongue2:

I agree totally with that. Mind you they are easy to lift out and plant on.  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 10:19 »
We were discussing wood chip only this morning, as they've had to fell one of our favourite trees at Bedgebury Pinetum, presumably because of disease.

So, what if these trees are chipped, and get into the public domain via sellers? Is the 'disease' still in the chips?

I don't know of course, but they do burn quite a lot in the visitor centre, and some go by lorry miles away, but for what, I never have found out!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 10:53 »
Oh Growster they look really beautiful. If/when I get to the top of the list for a second half plot, I'll be trying the traditional beds with grass paths approach. That is, if the plot is on the upper field and not where my current one is in Boggy Kingdom!

Wouldn't the disease contagion risk depend quite a bit on what the disease is and where the woodchip was being put? I've never thought to ask whether our free woodchip includes wood from diseased trees.

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 16:37 »
Oh Growster they look really beautiful. If/when I get to the top of the list for a second half plot, I'll be trying the traditional beds with grass paths approach. That is, if the plot is on the upper field and not where my current one is in Boggy Kingdom!

Wouldn't the disease contagion risk depend quite a bit on what the disease is and where the woodchip was being put? I've never thought to ask whether our free woodchip includes wood from diseased trees.

That's very kond of you, Surbie - thank you!

The main reason why we've gone for all this layout, is that there are only two of us now, and we actually couldn't consume a whole plot and a half's worth of veg and fruit! Even with giving loads away, there will always be a glut of something. We never have a waiting list on our plots either, so there's no rush to downsize, which we might consider in about thirty years time..;0)

The paths are dead easy to work from as well, and we can sit down - or lie down, to weed if we want, as well as pick things low down like black currants or Alpine straws, which Mrs G plated last year, and have been providing enough since late June!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 18:36 »

I agree totally with that. Mind you they are easy to lift out and plant on.  ;)

My paths have a rather lovely show of calendula right now -- I decided to leave the seedlings in and glad I did  :D :D

Mainly I just hoike out seedlings as I see them, as I walk round

PS Lovely views there Growster  :D  Thanks for sharing the pictures  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 18:37 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 06:51 »
Thank you, KC, the paths here do grow some oddities, but not as well as a chip one does!

Latest is a huge bramble (from the derelict plot next door), and not half as nice as a lovely Calendula..;0)

xx
Best time of year to grass my paths?

Started by RJR_38 on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 20:38
by RJR_38
xx
Help, how to remove pampas grass and mystery grass identification?

Started by AustinGreyson on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2020, 19:30
by jezza
xx
Help, how to remove pampas grass and mystery grass identification.

Started by WeavingGryphon on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 20:36
by jezza
xx
cheapest paths?

Started by simon_wright91 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2014, 18:42
by Annen

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 28 queries.