an egg

• 2 Replies

grumpydad

an egg
« on: May 23, 2010, 14:25 »
well our poorly, on her own (well not quite) broody wyandotte, has come back into laying.

as usually, after we lost the last ones, i have not listened to the advice given, big sal was really not good on her own, i know the risks, but decided not to keep her on her own, so bought 3 hybrids, light sussex, speckeldy, and black rock.

took 15 mins of introducing them for sal to let them know she was top hen, not another problem for 2 weeks. the 3 new hens have been laying for a week, 3 eggs a day, and sal has laid today.

they have really brought her back to being a chicken, and they are totally fearless, it is a nightmare to eat outside, they think they are parrots and fly to your shoulder to see what you are eating. they have dug more in 2 weeks than the 6 others had done in 2 months.

we are really happy with them, and fingers crossed, have found out what keeping hens should be like, hoping that the trips to the vet and dying chickens are a thing of the past.

martyn and val

Kate and her Ducks

Re: an egg
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 14:33 »
I'm really glad to hear that all the awful times you had haven't put you off and good to hear that Sal is on the mend. Laying certainly sounds like she is doing well. Will be keeping my fingers crossed that the gamble pays off. I'm sure I would have done exactly the same.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

carolbriar

Re: an egg
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 20:06 »
Hope it all goes well grumpydad. :)
Carolbriar
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 39 queries.