leeks are amazing

• 5 Replies

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
leeks are amazing
« on: April 24, 2010, 12:12 »
mine are growin very slowly but are growing  :D its an amazing plant   they are like pets to me in away

great plant well done mother nature

Jai

Re: leeks are amazing
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:29 »
I spend so long growing and looking after my leeks  that if always feel a bit guilty pulling them up. They are so useful that i have  always got some growing from seed, some maturing and some ready to pull.
My wife made all the pies, then I ate them!!!

zazen999

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:57 »
My first batch were put into a corner of one of my beds ready for the winter.

I went to a garden this week that is in a self sustainable community, and they bang the leeks all in together - they were harvesting them and you couldn't get a fag paper in between them. they all push each other apart and not a mm of spare space is wasted.

None of this 3 inches between and dib them all in individually......it's module grown and bang the modules in and leave them to it.

No more am I spending cold wet days separating them out - I'm going to be using this method now and in preparation, I put modules of onions into their final position last night module by module.

What a great way to grow Veg :D

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 13:14 »
zazen - show us pictures at the end of the season - what are overall yields like, so they grow smaller than average packed so closely together? More importantly what's the situation with respect to disease?

>they are like pets to me
flitwickone  - someone else on this site described them as being like a row of soldiers with black helmets - the comparison is a good one in my opinion

SS

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 14:11 »
 Have a packet of leek seeds planted in a 70ish litre container. Checked this morning & they are all pocking their lil green heads up. cant wait to transplant them on.
I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

zazen999

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 18:17 »
zazen - show us pictures at the end of the season - what are overall yields like, so they grow smaller than average packed so closely together? More importantly what's the situation with respect to disease?

SS

Well, this garden is totally organic and there was no disease present; and the sizes were just the same as mine grown 3 inches apart. In fact, bigger [but then again, they were further South].

They told me that they went in the soil in November last year; and they were a good supermarket size when they harvested some on Tuesday.

Which is why I was so amazed; if they were smaller I wouldn't have been so flabbergasted.

xx
Amazing

Started by pipfit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 22:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Isn't it amazing what poo can do???

Started by GrannieAnnie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 22:23
by Trillium
xx
oca amazing

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 15:47
by Herb
xx
It's amazing innit ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 04, 2006, 12:48
by Stevens706

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 38 queries.