White currant wilting

• 4 Replies

hubballi

White currant wilting
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:29 »
I bought a healthy white current plant last week and have just potted it after letting it stand in water for an hour. I have used normal compost with some blood fish and bone mixed in the bottom.

Almost overnight the leaves are starting to wilt as well as go thin leaving a white membrane.

Can anyone tell me what is happening ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:05 by Ice »

Loubs

• Experienced Member
Re: White currant wilting
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 14:55 »
Don't know about your whitecurrant, but one of my gooseberry bushes is suddenly looking very sorry for itself this week - my fault, I'd got to digging over the final section of my plot and the gooseberry (which was in the wrong place according to my plans) was surrounded by couch weed. So even though I knew it was completely the wrong time of year to do it as the poor thing was about to burst into blossom, I dug it up to remove as much of the couch weed root as I could, before re-planting it in a new location in my new soft-fruit bed. It's now gone into wilty sulk mode.

I'm giving my plant lots of tlc & water - am not expecting any fruit from it this year, but hoping it'll pick up again later.

Is it possible that your plant is not impressed at being repotted right now while it's in growth mode, I wonder?

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 15:09 »
Yes, it's quite likely the planting that has put it into sulk mode. As Loubs is doing, give it lots of tlc and water, and also cut back the main upright stems to half their length. This will minimize water demand on the stressed plant and it should shoot back quickly. I wouldn't feed it at all right now as this will further stress the plant which is trying to recover, let alone be forced to put on sudden growth.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 15:21 »
It may also help to rig up a bit of temporary shade, until they are less sulky ......it's a bit warm out there for anything newly moved 8)

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 18:20 »
So has mine,  :(  It's looking very sorry for itself, along with 5 other berries I planted. Oops I've already given them a feed as they looked like they needed it!

xx
White Currant

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 18:46
by Trillium
xx
white currant variety?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 18:10
by gobs
xx
Contorted white currant branches.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 22, 2014, 17:27
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Gooseberry and white currant advice

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 13, 2016, 01:25
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 40 queries.