Introducing the g.easel or g.adder for 2018, its a 4 in 1 solution

• 4 Replies

no_akira

• Pallet wood Hydro-driver
Its a 4 in 1 design; #1 Compost bin ladder, #2 Bean frame (curved), #3 Wind break, #4 Seedling Cloche. Dimensions are approx 2.5' x 6.5' or 0.76m x 2m.

All held together with x4 Turbocoach screws that can be driven in without pilot holes straight throu the metal tubes into the battens. A quick tap on the turboscrew with a hammer to puncture the metal is all that is required.

Because of the issues I felt I had with the preservative on the wooden batens or the soft HDPE plastic grid that I used on the 2017 mk1 design, I'm hoping to be as "inert" as possible, untreated batons and old galvanised heras panels.

Regards naming its either a g.easel = gardeners Easel or a g.adder = gardeners ladder as the hook part of the design looks like fangs on a viper or Adder.

Or any suggestions for a name ?
geasel_02c_ladder_b.jpg
geasel_03c_windbreak.jpg
geasel_01c_beanframe.jpg
geasel_04c_cloche.jpg
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 19:31 by no_akira »
"How is that allotment site, I'd heard its heavy going, clay like..."

grinling

Seedling cloche...can't think how you can use it as the other 3.

no_akira

Not really sure what your asking ?

Do you mean "If your using it to warm beds and cover early seedling (pre last frost 16th April '18) then it can't be used as its other functions such as Squash Trellis ?"

To my mind its just a design thats floating around the allotment. I got enough materials to make another x3 so x4 in total on plot.

You could use them as a Cloche soil warmers in Feb - March, Parsnip germination cloche for the month of April, Brassica seedling bird deterrent for May, then come June its a Squash trellis for the squashes plants come tumbling out of the compost dalek. Then in August - September a windbreak for late croppers.

Maybe, its just a odd design that can be used in a variety of directions.

grinling

Bin ladder? it would break, so easier to scoop and put in.
Bean support is tall tall for dwarf, which does not need it and too small for climbing.
Mesh would also be too fiddly to remove old plants.
Wind break wouldn't work as mesh too much gap.
Cloche good idea, but open underneath, but used with a raised bed would be brill.
Putting the mesh under the bin would stop rats though.

no_akira

Bin ladder? it would break, so easier to scoop and put in.

The 'dalek trellis' only supports the sprawling leaves and stems which are wrapped down & back up on top of the panel grid. Also puts female & male flowers together. The heavy weighty fruits are encouraged to drop through the metal mesh and are suspended in the triangle void space between soil-dalek-trellis. At some point a bit of string ties the squash thick stem to the trellis, suspended off the soil.

With the bean sit, you leave the dead beans plants over winter to completely dry then they break away easily.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 39 queries.