R.I.P. Bagpuss

• 23 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
R.I.P. Bagpuss
« on: June 30, 2012, 13:58 »
 :(  Lots of you helped me through some rough times when our elderly cat was poorly.  I am sorry to say that following her suddenly loosing her sight last Sunday we had to make the decision all pet owners dread.  Bagpuss seemed fine earlier on in the week and was coping with her new disability.  However then came the high winds and rain which impaired her remaining senses, touch and smell (she was already completely deaf).  Never being an indoor cat we could not restrict her to staying in.  She became very distressed yesterday morning and was racing around bumping into things.  I had to collect my daughter from Carlisle station because of the flood damage to the East Coast line so that was a 7 hour round trip. 

Thanks to you guys I was able to book a home visit from the vet (I had no idea you could do that).  Although never pleasant it made it a little easier and she had myself, hubby and two daughters to comfort her and each other.  Thanks again for all your support and advice. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Trillium

Re: R.I.P. Bagpuss
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 14:10 »
Truly sorry for your loss but it's so nice that you got that home service to ease the pain.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 15:07 »
Very sorry to hear about bagpuss, but you did the best thing for her and you'll have many happy memories. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 15:14 »
Virtual hugs from here, I know how I felt when we had to have Sootycat put down.  But Bagpuss is happy again now! xx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 15:49 »
sorry for your loss but am also pleased she was able to pass away with her family around her and in surroundings that she was familiar with xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 18:47 »
* hugs *
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

spottymint

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 20:02 »
Sorry to hear of your loss.  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 20:10 »
it was the kindest thing you could do for her.

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 21:45 »
So sorry for your loss, but you made the hardest decision and let her go with dignity, surrounded by those who loved her.

Oliveview

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 21:49 »
So sorry about Bagpuss.  I always say the kindest gift you can give to an ill animal is know when to say goodbye. 

Pamela

maxyboo

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 22:36 »
Sorry to hear your news. I had my old girl put to sleep a few months ago and it still upsets me. But I know I did the right thing for her and that is exactly what you have done for Bagpuss.

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 17:18 »
Thanks everyone.  Finding it really hard coming down on a morning and not being tripped over in the kitchen!  The house seems so empty without her and I think I keep seeing her out of the corner of my eye.

So sorry for your loss maxyboo, I hope that things get easier for you soon.

maxyboo

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 20:30 »
Thanks. It is horrible isn't it. It didn't help that my other cat disappeared for 3 days just after she died. I'm convinced he went looking for her. I think it helps to have other animals around who still need you and keep you busy. I saw my Max several times in the corner of my eye. She was never far away when she was alive so I miss her terribly. All we can do is what's best for them and try to take some comfort from that.

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 10:38 »
I keep coming across her things, I didn't realise how much stuff she had.  My neighboour has a cat so will be giving her all of the unused food, cat litter etc.  I am keeping busy with the hens and quail but that is not the same. 

Our eldest daughter has been taken into hospital yesterday with stomach pains, she has a recurring problem.  Just waiting for her to have a scan today and get the results.  Youngest daughter has gone back to Oban and taken my car so will be doing a bit of juggling to get from A to B.  That will keep me busy for the next 2 weeks until she bring the car back. 

I need to change the back door panel to take the cat flap out as that is the one thing that is really upsetting at the moment.  I keep expecting her to pop through it.   :(

grendel

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 12:45 »
We hada diabetic cat that went though a terrible week with trips to the vets and hourly checks etc and barely pulled through, when he started showing the same symptoms a week later we figured it easier for him to spare him all the trips and tests, we made him up a bed in the travel basket, and supplied him with food and water - he was obviously getting worse by the hour, and had constant company from one of the other cats who went in and curled up with him, and passed peacefully to his rest in the midst of his human and feline family, he was the only one that none of the cats went searching for after he had passed, its as if they all realised what had happened, when others have been taken to the vets at a similar stage they have always spent time calling out and searching the house.
Bagpuss is now resting and no longer suffering, with time all the memories will be the good ones and you will grieve less, but its always painful at first.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 39 queries.