Poorly old cat

• 43 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Poorly old cat
« on: August 05, 2011, 00:28 »
 :(

Our cat is poorly, she is about 19 years old.  We got her as a rescue cat from the R.S.P.C.A. over 16 years ago.  She has been part of our family for so long and has been challenging to say the least.  We could not even pick her up when we got her as she was so unfriendly.  She has mellowed over the years but can still be fiesty especially on her annual trip to the vets for flu jab and check over. 

She is deaf, has slight cateracts and a slight heart murmur.  This was the diagnosis at the beginning of June this year.  Over the last few days we noticed that she was a bit wobbly on her back legs when standing still.  With being so old her muscles are naturally weak but some days she runs around like a kitten.  Long gone are the days when she could jump onto the 6 foot garden fence but she can manage the 3 foot wall.  She likes to be on the wall to be brushed. 

When talking to my neighbour I mentioned my concern over her the other day.  She reassured me and said that they often have off days.  Today I noticed that she was lying in an unusual position for her like the lions at Trafalgar Square, once on the patio then at the foot of the stairs.  This is one of her favourite places to sleep lately.  As it was really warm and we had not yet had any rain as forecast I left the back door open to keep her cool.  She sat on the back door mat in the same position for a while.  Then the rain came down heavily so I closed the back door.  She went back to the bottom of the stairs.  A while later she had gone outside to drink out of the watering can we keep topped up as she prefers it that way.  I went into the kitchen and heard her meowing at her cat flap.  Her face was pressed up against the flap.  I opened the back door to let her in and she walked in unsteadily.  This was when I noticed that her belly looked quite swollen.  I felt her to see if she reacted to check if she was in pain but she seemed to enjoy it.  Then she stood with her head facing the corner of the door and wall.

I made an urgent appointment at the vets and was there within 20 minutes.  The young lady vet tried to examine her but touched her back legs.  She must have some arthritis as she tried to attack the vet.  I think she was shocked but I had already told her that she is fiesty and that it usually takes two vets to try and cut her claws.  Last time they only managed one paw and I did the other a couple of days later when she had calmed down.  She asked loads of questions and said she could not do a diagnosis if she could not examine her.  She callled on our regular older vet and he checked her over with no problems.

He seems to think that she is retaining fluid and that in four legged animals it goes to their belly rather than legs as in humans.  Her gave her an injection and I have to give her tablets for 14 days.  They want to see her again on Monday at 4 pm.

She staggered to her food bowl when we got home and ate some of her food.  I managed to give her the tablet.  My husband came home and could not believe how unwell she looked.  She has never really ailed anything before.  Never had one flea even though we have never used flea treatment.  Other cats keep their distance as she was so tough!  Then I had to let our two daughters know she is not well.  Our youngest who is in Scotland at Uni is her Mam as she was her 8th Birthday present.  She has been missing her so much and we have to email photos regularly.  We bought fish and chips for tea and gave her a small amount which she ate.  She is still at the bottom of the stairs and I keep checking she is alright.  Putting the water bowl near her to have a drink but scared to leave it incase she nods off with her head in the water. 

My husband says she will probably be better in the morning when the medicine starts working but I think he is just trying to reassure me.  I would hate for her to suffer and hope that she goes peacefully if it is her time.  As our eldest daughter said, "she couldn't have had a better life, she has been well looked after".  I don't want to leave her on her own so it looks like it is going to be a long night.  Sorry for such a sad post but they do say a problem shared is a problem halved.  I think it has helped me in some small way writing it down.  Will update as and when I can.  Thanks for reading, this forum is a comfort for so many pet owners.  x
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

wighty

Re: Poorly old cat
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 02:27 »
So sorry ANHBUC to read this, although you are doing all you can.  Been there and done something very similar with Fudge (my avatar). We knew the end was coming and did everything we could to prolong it and make her as comfortable as possible.  It is very hard and upsetting but please take comfort from your daughter's comment. I'm here at the moment if you need someone to talk to as I can't sleep at the moment.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 03:18 »
Animals know when it's time, and they'll pick the oddest places to be alone. I've been through that with several cats, and it's always upsetting for us.

I sometimes wonder if our furry friends don't want to bother us with their decline by doing this. Either way, they know you've loved them and they've loved you in return. Can't ask for more. 19 is a good long life, so just keep showing her love. Its about all you can do.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:22 »
Hope her tablets start to work soon xxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:55 »
Poor Puss, I hate it when any of mine are ill because I just want to ask them what they want to be more comfy. When our Molly, who was 17, was ill I walked round asking her if she wanted a blankey, water, food, a brush or a cuddle... I knew she couldnt understand but it made me feel better and it's the same as you would do with any elderly relative and thats just what they are.

She was a right grumpy madam when it came to going to the vets as well but that was due to the fact that she had high blood pressure and it made her go totally blind so it was all very scary for her with all those smells and noises. You could guarantee the days she went in for her testing they had the noisiest high pitched dogs ever in!

Her blindness never hindered her as a house cat, she would wander around the garden with you and have a sun bathe and come straight back in when she'd had enough...but she would hiss at the coffee table if she walked into it ::)

She was an RSPCA cat and I still laugh about the day we picked her up, the staff said she was vicious and bitey and brought out the biggest pair of gloves I have ever seen that went all the way up to their armpits! They opened the cage and out flew this little silver stripey tiney thing with frazzled whiskers and a bent tail. Someone had tied a rocket to her tail, set fire to it and threw her off a balcony and she was just 9 weeks old.... She sat on my shoulder, hid under my hair and snuzzled her nose in my neck and from that second she was MY cat.....you never ever adopt a cat, it's the other way round, they always chose you!

The time when they are ill is always painful because you do want to do your best for them but you've also got to remember that this lil cat chose you to be her family 16 years ago and it's an honour to have all those memories and be assured that if the worst does happen, that occasionally, just out of the corner of your eye you will see your lil trafalgar lion in her fave spot....just like I step over my stripey tiger at the bottom of the stairs sometimes.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 06:53 »
I hope she's improved a bit this morning. x
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:37 »
She is slightly steadier on her back legs this morning.  Still preferring to sit on her scratch mat at the bottom of the stairs.  We had to put an offcut of new carpet we had laid in the hall a few years ago as she started to use the new carpet as a scratch mat.  She had never ever scratched anything in the house before.  Think she might have been making it hers, she did the same with the wallpaper and we have had to replace it on the scratch corner she chose a couple of times.  Luckily she stopped doing that last year.

Thanks for the support wighty, Trillium, joyfull and argyllie it is easier to share with people of like minds.

PurplePixie I think our cats must be related from what you have said.  Our vet has had to have the gauntlets out for her annual jab in the past.  I always warn them but they didn't listen when she had to have a tooth out.  They still have the scars from trying to get her out of their holding cage.  When she is in a mood I even leave well alone.  I know that when she does go she will still be with me tripping me over in the kitchen when I am trying to cook dinner.  As I said before she has been a challenge and feisty cat but as we affectionately call her she is our silly old bagpuss.

I feel as if I have done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson so am going to get some rest, "catnap" me thinks.  Will keep you updated and I will treasure all your kind thoughts.

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 09:06 »
Good to hear she's steadier and that you're still in one piece as well!

Go and have a 'lil snooze and then plan a nice lunch that involves something like chicken for hiding her tablets in  ;)

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 13:17 »
Good to hear she's steadier and that you're still in one piece as well!

Go and have a 'lil snooze and then plan a nice lunch that involves something like chicken for hiding her tablets in  ;)

Had my snooze and still feel rough.  Think we take our pets pain on when they are ill.  Have tried the hiding tablets thing over the years but she is too canny for that.  I manage to pop them down her throat with a little bit of fuss.  She is not due her next tablet until 5.30 so just keeping her company for now.  She has eaten a little and drinking plenty which is a side effect of the medication.  Nice and sunny in the garden at the moment so might take her outside for a sit in the shade.

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 13:23 »
So sorry ANHBUC to read this, although you are doing all you can.  Been there and done something very similar with Fudge (my avatar). We knew the end was coming and did everything we could to prolong it and make her as comfortable as possible.  It is very hard and upsetting but please take comfort from your daughter's comment. I'm here at the moment if you need someone to talk to as I can't sleep at the moment.

Can't see your avatar of Fudge.  Sorry I did not get back to you overnight but my eyes are quite blurry at the moment as you can imagine.  She is hanging in there and does not seem to be in pain so we will just have to wait and see what develops. 

Thanks for yours and everyones kind thoughts.  Even those who have not posted I know everyone is wishing well as I have done after reading sad posts.  Sometimes you just don't know what to say as there is nothing much that will make things better.  It is just really nice to have pet friendly support from this forum.

Carolf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 13:53 »
ANHBUC, I feel for you.  As has been said in the many posts, we tend to worry so much about our pets to the point of exhaustion.  My little JRT that we got from the spca in 1999 was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years before he passed on.  I felt so heart sore for him as he had to have 2 injections a day and you could tell he just hated it but knew he had to have them.  Sadly, diabetes in pets is a hit and miss situation as you can't do their bloods as you would in a human so the daily injections could go either way, glucose levels good so he was perky, or his glucose levels were already low so the injection just made him feel bleh. 
He was otherwise a happy chappy and we used to take him and his sister on canal trips and it was on one of these trips that he passed away. We had let both dogs out onto the tow path for their normal piddle and rake about and when he came back onto the boat he stood in the corner, pretty much as you described with your cat, and just stood facing it with his head hung down.  We petted him a bit and he came down into the boat, walked up towards the bed (we always went back to bed for a cuppa and watch the news in the morning) and he just stopped and keeled over. He was gone before he hit the floor and, according to our vet, he apparently had a massive heart attack.  No pain or suffering, just one minute here the next gone.
We were wrecks for ages after that, having had him for 10 long wonderful years. 
His sister survived for about 5 months then she just declined - we think she really missed him as they had not been apart since they were born.

We have such loving memories of the 2 of them (both buried in our garden) and we know that they could not have had a better life.

Your lovely cat has obviously had a loving caring family for so long and while it is hard to watch her decline you can rest easy in the knowledge that she was given the best of everything.  Doesn't make it easier on you I know and words don't always make things better but you have loads of support. 
Hugs to you and your cat. Be strong and give her lots of cuddles (more for you than her I suspect   ;) )
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 14:13 »
We used to hide Mollys tablets in those Felix stick treats, I think they're called rewards but the chicken and liver ones are a bit softer so you could break off an inch piece and split it with your thumb nail, put the tablet inside and with the warmth from your hands it could be moulded around the tablet but still quite small.

Myrtle, our elderly sleepy fuzzball cat is a fussy madam and prefers hers crushed in a teaspoon of custard which of course has to room temperature and be hand-fed at her pace  ::)

maxyboo

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 20:17 »
Just adding my best wishes for you and your cat ANHBUC. I hope the tablets are having a positive effect and she rallies. I know how awful  you feel when a pet is poorly. You are doing all you can for her and it sounds like she is thoroughly spoiled, just as it should be! I know it doesn't help much now but it sounds like you have given her a wonderful life and are continuing to do so. My thoughts are with you. Please keep us up to date if you can.

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 21:04 »
She had a little wander outside this afternoon.  A drink from her watering can, which is her favourite way to have a drink.  Then onto the driveway at the back of the house for a lie down in the shade with a cooling breeze.  I took the opportunity to run the hoover round the house while she had a nap as she is not keen on it and did not want to stress her more than necessary.

She has had her second tablet and a small amount of fish and her dried food with plenty of water.  She is still very unsteady on her rear legs and sometimes gets up has a little wobble about and decides to settle back on her scratch mat.  She seems to be laying down a bit more comfortably than yesterday and enjoyed a belly rub earlier.  I thought it might help her digestion and other internal workings as she is not very mobile at the moment.

I feel very lucky to have so many people sharing their experiences and well wishes.  Thanks everyone for caring.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 21:53 »
I am glad she is a little steadier today and I hope she continues to improve.

It is so hard when they are ill and my heart goes out to you as I went through something similar 2 years ago when my beloved Tess reached the end of her life. She had been my 18th Birthday present and was a link to the past and a comfort through the loss of both my brother and father. Pets are so much part of our lives and those without them cannot understand how much they mean.

In the end it was old age that Tess died of and she died at home on my lap. She wasn't comfortable so in the end I got the vet out and she was put down on my knee in her favourite spot on the sofa. It still makes me cry to think about it.

Whatever happens, you know you are doing your best for her and she is with those that love her which is all any of us can hope for. Thinking of you both.

Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
poorly cat

Started by titch on Pets without Feathers

36 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 18:41
by cissie
xx
poorly pup

Started by nicky d on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 20:41
by Spana
xx
Poorly gerbil

Started by Raven81 on Pets without Feathers

25 Replies
Last post November 30, 2011, 21:52
by Raven81
xx
Poorly Puss Tat

Started by Caralou on Pets without Feathers

34 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 14:47
by raeburg

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 39 queries.