poorly cat

• 36 Replies

titch

poorly cat
« on: February 21, 2010, 21:58 »
One of my cats has become unwell so i am taking him off to the vet tomorrow morning.  It began on friday evening..........he seemed to be moving really slowly, like his legs were stiff or sore - he didnt stop eating, drinking or using the litter tray so we just kept an eye on him.  Yesterday, he seemed a little more spritely, and spent all day outside, and it took him ages to come in for tea - not like him, he hears a bowl clank at a mile away  but as the evening wore on got slower and slower and then last night couldnt jump up on the sofa - but still continues to eat, drink, pee and poop the same.  I wouldnt let him out last night as was worried about him.

this morning he went out, peed and pooped as usual, but we noticed his tummy looks very swollen, he is still walking slowly and stiffly, not able to jump up, but apart from looking a little sorry for himself and sleeping has eaten a good dinner.

Am very worried about him.........we thought perhaps he had been hit by a car or kicked or fallen, but there is no blood in his pee or poop, or from anywhere else.

Bless him, he is only 6.......tomorrow morning cannot come quick enough......have been trying to look up symptoms online but know this is dangerous so not reading too much into it

sorry just needed to share with some 'cat people'
just keep breathing................

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: poorly cat
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 22:00 »
 :(

Hope he has a comfortable night and that all is well at the vet's tomorrow
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 22:03 »
It could be a virus - there has been a nasty one going round with very similar symptoms to your pudtat. Has he recently had his booster jabs? Mine had symtoms like this about 6 days after her last jabs as she was allergic (yet the years before no problems!) so that is another possibility. I imagine the vet will do some kidney testing just in case to check his urinary functions.

If the little man is eating drinking and pooping don't worry too much but maybe put him on a warmed blanket to help ease him up a little (mine love it when ill if I pop a water bottle in a very thick blanket on my knee then they curl up on it - very thick blanket so they dont pierce when padding  ::) ).

Hopefully it is just a bug and a few days tlc and painkillers will sort him out. Fingers crossed for him x

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 22:07 »
I hope he has a comfortable night Titch and thta vet has an idea what could be the problem in the morning.

Hope whatever it is clears up quickly  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

titch

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 22:07 »
I am a nuaghty cat owner and dont get mine jabbed ............he is the cat who gets ill the most - usually abcesses from fighting
I am hoping it is just a nasty bug he has picked up and nothing serious...........i figure he cant be feeling too bad as his appetite is not affected (he is quite a, ahem 'portly' cat)

He looks so sad .........thanks for the hot bottle tip Caralou, think i will do that for him

Knew some cat folks here would undersstand.

Still trying to catch the new kitty still enough for pics - only time is when she is asleep and she curls up so tight all you can see is a white furry circle  :lol:

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 22:12 »
Hope he's ok Titch and the vet finds something conclusive to treat, rather than just stabbing in the dark. Like you say if he's eating well and peeing and pooing normally, there may not be too much wrong. Perhaps he has pulled or knocked himself and time will sort it out.
Good luck at the vets. x

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 22:16 »
I wont be getting Shia jabbed again. I know a lot of people who dont jab pets - doesnt make you a naughty owner, in fact I know a few people including vets who think it is unnecessary and can make cats ill (as mine proved!).

If it is a bug and hopefully some painkilling meds will perk him up and back to his normal self or could have a hidden bite that has got infected - with all the fur at times it is hard to see them and if they dont inflame you cant feel them - in which case again he'll be back to his old self in a few days after the vets and meds.

Nothing wrong with portly cats, just ask my Arwen - she's not fat, just big boned  ;) :lol:

Give him lots of snuggles - I'm sure he wont complain  :)

titch

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 22:23 »
Thanks Caralou et all for the support - our chan (chandler) is a total pig, we have to feed him away from the others or he eats theirs..........
he is incredibly furry too so could be hiding all sorts under his coat.

Will see what the morning brings

Regarding jabs, have never got any of mine done, our vet says similar that it is not always necessary so never have - and our Jaffa live to nearly 18

Rubellite

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 22:24 »
I don't jab my dogs or my cats, Titch, but I'm not getting into one of those conversations at this time of night (eh Cara?)  ::)

titch

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 22:24 »
ok lets not go there then  ;)

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 22:28 »
Hehehe. Sadly you have to when foster for CP :( :( So as of next year I wont be fostering since I am not putting Shia through that ever again!

I have a semi-feral who is a total pig like that - I have to stand guard so he doesnt steal everyone elses food - I caught him swiping through the cat pen bars to steal the kittens food last week  fishing it out to eat it  ::)

Rubellite

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 22:31 »
Night, night, then and wishing him well  :) x

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:26 »
Oh Titch, my fingers and toes are crossed for you.  x
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 08:22 »
good luck at the vets titch and puddy tat, hope it's nothing too serious. xxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

cissie

• Experienced Member
  • Every day in every way....it's just not working.
Poorly Paddy
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 14:34 »
M.y old dog Paddy has been poorly since Saturday, we are going the vet tonight, he's nearly 14 and has symptoms of something nasty,i can't stop crying and keep praying it's something else. I'm new on here and don't know any of you really, but i know that you care and that's enough, thank you. :( :(

xx
Poorly old cat

Started by ANHBUC on Pets without Feathers

43 Replies
Last post June 27, 2012, 17:23
by ANHBUC
xx
poorly pup

Started by nicky d on Pets without Feathers

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 20:41
by Spana
xx
Poorly gerbil

Started by Raven81 on Pets without Feathers

25 Replies
Last post November 30, 2011, 21:52
by Raven81
xx
Poorly Puss Tat

Started by Caralou on Pets without Feathers

34 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 14:47
by raeburg

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 37 queries.