Hot Chilli

• 38 Replies

Oliver

Re: Markings on chilli pepper
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 13:52 »
Quote from: "Organic Cragg"
What colour were they when you picked them (apart from the brownish/black markings) green or red or halfway or what?

They were green.
I would suggest that the markings are 'normal' and would go away when the chilli ripened (hers are have gone from pale yellow to pale purple but will finish up bright orange. Also the Hungarian Hot wax have gone from pale green to yellowish and now have dark brownish tending to orange blotches - they will finish up orange- ish!)

About drying green chillis - don't know. You could try leaving a few in a dry airy place and see if they go dry rather than rot. The rest should probably be pickled while you wait as they may all rot then you will have nothing! Perhaps someone else on this site has dried green chillis!?
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

milkman

Hot Chilli
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 20:52 »
Green chillis stay hot in the freezer!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Hot Chilli
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2006, 14:58 »
My chilli flowers develop beautifully, but when the flower dies back, the whole flower stem dies too and falls off. Any advice? They're in the greenhouse, so shouldn't be getting cold or draughts. :?:

andy_jacko

• http://www.comebrowse.net
chilli peppers
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 15:55 »
Help, can I pick my chilli peppers now or do I wait till they go red.  They are in a small plastic green house and although they are a lighter green now, they  show no signs of changing to red.

Christine
curioser and curioser

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Hot Chilli
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 20:36 »
Hiya Christine.  Wait until they turn.  Some are beginning to turn to red now, but some got broke off while I was wading through the plants (they look a bit different to when you saw them last!!!) but even sitting on a sunny windowsill, the green ones don't ripen, they just go soft.

Remember, yours went in a little behind mine, so they shouldn't be too long now.

Annie

Hot Chilli
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 22:38 »
Red and green chillies are dead easy to dry,simply make little loop knots, pushing  in a chilli stem each time, down a long piece of string then hang them up.At this time of the year you can hang them just about anywhere,I keep them in the kitchen,later when they are red if the heating or a fire is on then near there.They will dry rather than rot and you can add to the string as chillies ripen.I have some from last year,(when I got carried away) in a plastic bag,air removed,and two jars,one with blitzed red chillies one with green.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Hot Chilli
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 12:22 »
Ian - We have a chilli expert here at work (he gave me 4 plants to try) he dries his out by just putting them on the windowsill until they shrivel up (apparently it takes between 1 to 2 months) hope this helps.
Paul

wellingtons

I've got scotch bonnets ...
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 16:35 »
... in my airing cupboard at the minute ... I tend to dry my chillies in there as it's a more even temperature and it's dark!

4-6 weeks drying time!

pete

Hot Chilli
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 21:32 »
I grew mine from starter plugs from marshalls with the different varieties. The wife turned them into a lovely chilli sauce, which we were still eating two years later and had matured into a lovely tasting sauce. Good for pasta and splattered on a sarni. Nice but not too hot. We pulled the recipe from off of the web. We got rid of a glut of chillis quickly and passed some on a presents.

GrannieAnnie

Hot Chilli
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 21:36 »
I've just turned some of my chillies into the Thai sweet chilli sauce from the recipe someone put on here, and also into a tomato and chilli sauce, so that got rid of a few more!!!!  Now I've got another lot going red!

Also saving some of the seeds from the Cayenne Chillies that I got free with Kitchen Garden earlier this year.  (They're the ones that got me in the eye earlier!!!)

pete

Hot Chilli
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2006, 22:18 »
Grannieannie. In my last house i had a lovely south facing, London victorian cottage gerden and grew me chillis in pots. I had a great night after i, by accident, rubbed my eye having planted a load of chilli's. God did that hurt :shock:  :shock:

I won't be doing that twice. Taught me a quick lesson.

GrannieAnnie

Hot Chilli
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2006, 20:42 »
So you know how I felt when I did the same thing the other day then???

pete

Hot Chilli
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2006, 22:44 »
Lets just say, i hope to god you cant curse as well as i can, cause  it got used that day. Man, the poor wife had to stand the brunt of the torrent of expletives :shock:

GrannieAnnie

Hot Chilli
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2006, 22:47 »
My Mum spent most of her working years working with men, so there aren't many words I haven't heard!!!!! And I've worked with engineers for most of my working life, so learnt a few more!!!!     lol

Luckily, OH was out in the garden blissfully unaware.......

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
Hot Chilli
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2006, 08:20 »
Daren picked a couple of chilli's last night and "oh my god" ,it only touched my lips ans they were buzzing for about a hour :lol: think i'll leave them to him :lol:

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
xx
my chilli's

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 20, 2013, 04:41
by BabbyAnn
xx
Chilli's

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 19:14
by whippersnapper

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 38 queries.