green manure

• 6 Replies

Pablo

green manure
« on: September 26, 2006, 11:59 »
hi,i'm just about to sow some green manure into two raised beds.I have two different kinds; mustard (kingston) and winter tares (english early).It says on the packet that the mustard is related to brassicae family and the winter tares related to field beans and legumes.I'm not sure whether that means that i should sow the mustard in the bed that i intend to put brassicas in or not!....can anyone help me on this matter? Cheers!
p
ps any advice about green manure would be greatly appreciated ( this is my first time!)
Brighton,East Sussex
Vegan Organic

milkman

green manure
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 16:56 »
Hallo Pablo, I suggest you don't sow the mustard in the area to be followed by brassicas, not sure it's quite so important for the winter tares.  

Also it could be useful finding out if club root is a problem in the locality - if it is I'd advise against sowing mustard altogether.

Have just read the seed catalogue that winter tares will be good planted in the area where you plan to grow brassicas as it will supply them with lots of useful nitrogen.

So maybe sow the mustard in an area where you later plan to plant potatoes?

Good luck!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Martin

• Experienced Member
green manure
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 23:59 »
Hello Pablo,
I found a useful article about green manure at the GardenOrganic (HDRA) site here
Martin

oggy

green manure
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 13:15 »
Hi all,

Have heard about winter Tares..............what are they and where do I get some ?

oggy

milkman

green manure
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 14:11 »
They are a type of vetch which I think fix nitrogen - the organic gardening catalogue stocks the seed.

I've just acquired 1/3 bucket of Grazing Rye from a fellow plot holder friend for free, so have been weeding like mad and sowing this in all my empty soil, ducking into the greenhouse when the rain comes down!

noshed

green manure
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 12:40 »
I'm going to do that as well but the bit from HDRA warns about what you're planting after (I'm sure you've seen this but here it is for other people's reference):
"Grazing rye has an extensive root system which is excellent at improving soil structure and mopping up plant foods in the autumn. It is one of the easiest to fit in as it can be sown as late as early October - or later in the south - and it is not closely related to any veg crop, so it can't mess up a rotation. BUT, never sow grazing rye where small seeded crops, such as carrots, are to be sown the following spring. As it decays in the soil, rye foliage produces toxins that inhibit germination of small seeds for a few weeks. It can be safely used before potatoes or beans, for example. "

Although my carrot germination can't be much worse than it was this year.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Pablo

manure
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 11:16 »
Thanks everyone for replies! Have got a much better idea what i'm doing now...
p

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 39 queries.