Butternut squash- do you let it ripen on the plant or bring indoors

• 8 Replies

missmoneypenny

I have a few self seeded plants and the fruit are now large and pale orange with some white stripes- not the deeper colour of the squash you see in the shops. Should I leave them in the plant to complete ripening ( even though weather forecast isn’t great in the temperature or sun department) or bring indoors to ripen on the windowsill? Thanks for any advice .

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
I leave mine out as long as I can, but bring them in if they're likely to get frosted.
Weather isn't cooperating, this year,  is it?  ::)

missmoneypenny

It certainly isn’t mum. Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep and eye on the weather and bring them in if frost threatens.

Fairy Plotmother

It certainly isn’t mum. Thanks for the advice, I’ll keep and eye on the weather and bring them in if frost threatens.
That's my plan too!

8doubles

If the plants were self seeded you do not know what in the squash family they could be crossed with so do not wait for 100% perfect butternut colour.
I used to cut them and bring inside as soon as they changed colour not trusting them with the wet weather and slugs and snails it brings.
With a rack in good sunlight and ventilation and the occasional turn they can keep till next May.

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
Larger butternut squash have quite a firm skin and will survive even if the parent plant is hit by frost or very cold weather and loses its ability to grow the smaller squashes.   But until this happens, the best chance for the small squashes to grow is to remove the fully developed squashes and hope that, despite shorter day lengths and lower temperatures, we have an Indian Summer and the smaller squashes continue to grow.

Ema

My butternuts are still quite small like yours they haven’t got their thick skin. I’m going to leave them until a frost is forecast. Feed weekly and put them on a bit of slate to stop them rotting in the wet soil

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
Hi,
Turn in weather so have cut mine and will put on a rack in cold greenhouse, loads of slugs around so had them on bricks but fruits are all small / medium and don't seem to have grown much even after i removed the very small ones a couple weeks ago and have been feeding weekly. Roasting one a bit later to give an idea if ok 

missmoneypenny

Thanks for all these tips everyone. Will leave in soil a bit longer. I have raised them on bricks and remove (ok, squish) and slugs and snails I see around them. If frost threatens I’ll bring them in.

xx
Ripen butternut squash?

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 10:27
by hermon
xx
Butternut squash FINALLY fruiting - but will it ripen in time?

Started by Babyshoes on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 11:45
by JayG
xx
When to plant out butternut squash

Started by tinlizzy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 14:46
by ruffmesiter_69
xx
Will my squash ripen

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 01, 2018, 22:23
by chillimummy

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 37 queries.