my chilli's

• 21 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Re: my chilli's
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 09:53 »
I have some dorset's and the best bet is not to expect many fruits this year and over winter them, for the best results. Last grew them a couple of years ago and they were spicy.

be tough on the chilli plant, don't let it wilt, but don't keep them too moist.

mine are very late this year, due to various reasons, but flowers are out this lovely summer will help I hope.. same with the tomatoes....

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 09:54 »
In the word's of Alan partridge 'A-ha'  :) Do tell then mos, please  :D
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 10:28 »
Four months later, the Naga was dethroned by the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, the current record holder, at 1.464 million Scovilles
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324281004578356703455812208.html

BabbyAnn

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 11:14 »
Four months later, the Naga was dethroned by the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, the current record holder, at 1.464 million Scovilles
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324281004578356703455812208.html

actually ... that was overtaken by the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion blend since February 2012  ;)

of which I have got one growing and a fruit has set off one of the earlier flowers  :D  I thought I was buying a set of seeds from the Chile Pepper company but when the plants arrived, I'm sure I'd ordered the Bhut Jolokia but the Moruga arrived in its place.  With the hot weather, many more flowers and buds have appeared so should get a few of it this year.

Out of interest, the Dorset Naga and several other "Naga strains" are just variations of the Naga Morich - genetically they are not much different other than seed has been selected from fruit that had slight variation/tested for heat.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 11:39 »
Six Scorpion Morugas growing very well for me. Bhut Jolokia is for girls!

BP
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 03:54 »
im still pretty new to this game what do you mean by over wintering something

BabbyAnn

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 04:41 »
im still pretty new to this game what do you mean by over wintering something

Chilli plants (in general) are perennial - in other words you can in theory keep them going year after year.  However, they are frost sensitive so are easily killed off but if you bring them indoors they will get some protection.  The trick though is to get them in a sort of dormant state so if you can put them somewhere cool (but not cold) and sunny spot like a south facing window ledge, reduce the watering but not totally bone dry (as sun strength drops they won't be photosynthesising as much so only need a bit of water to keep them alive), and trim back most of the leafy growth to the woody stem, they can survive winter.

In spring, repot into fresh compost and when you see new leaf buds, gradually increase the watering.  Not too much as this can do the opposite effect and many a plant will keel over - too often the British spring is a bit haphazard and can be mild earlier on then shunt back to winter just when things are getting going.  If you do succeed in overwintering the plants, they are already mature so there is no need to wait for seeds to germinate and grow on.  They will flower a lot earlier and be more productive than the first year.

Annums (such as peppers and cayenne type) don't always survive too well, but some do.  I overwintered some Jalepeno and Hungarian Hot Wax because they never reached the flowering stage last year due to the dull weather - believe it or not, but the fresh seed sown this year flowered first but having said that, the overwintered ones do seem to have more fruit on them now.  The Fresno that I've managed to overwinter twice, has masses of fruit on it but I'm not actually expecting to successfully overwinter it again as the plant looks like it is going past its best.

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
xx
Chilli Help

Started by jermaindefoe on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 16:12
by mumofstig
xx
Chilli's

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 19:14
by whippersnapper

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 38 queries.