chilli help

• 5 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
chilli help
« on: July 10, 2013, 21:56 »
I have about eight chilli plants. They have grown well got flowers at the top which have been there for weeks. Progrress from here seems to be slow.  I feed once weekly with tomato feed.  Should my chilli s BE growing faster.

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: chilli help
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 22:46 »
Does depend a lot on the variety. Some types grow a lot faster than others. My Superchillis have quite a lot of fruit on them already, but my Habaneros are only just starting to flower. Could try giving them some tomato feed, that might give them a boost.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 23:34 »
As Shokky said, it can depend on the variety, but it also depends on where they are - are they getting enough light and warmth? I've got chillies on the lemon drop at work (south facing bay window), but not on the ones on my balcony (north facing). And the habaneros on the plot are just beginning to bud, whereas I've already got 12 chillies on one of the chenzos I'm growing. (I count them, they are my preciouses!!  :))

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 03:22 »
silly question so apologies if I'm wrong - are you pollinating them?  A gentle tap of the flowers, a gentle shake of the plant (I put my fingers through the stems and give it a little rattle) or paintbrush job to knock the pollen about? 

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 09:39 »
I put mine outside on warm, still days so the bees etc can visit them. The ones that are too big to move are in the greenhouse surrounded by flowers to encourage bees etc to drop by (aphids too  :nowink:)  There are many and varied chillies all of which will have different characteristics so don't expect them all to behave the same

You'll be drowning in chillies by the end of the season  :D

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:52 »
We have chillis on an upstairs windowsill and a downstairs windowsill, both facing east. The upstairs chillis get the sunlight a little earlier every morning and you can really see the difference - they flowered maybe two weeks ahead of the others and look really strong.

No fruit on any yet but some of the flowers upstairs are fading. Scotch bonnets are very lush but behind the others in terms of flowering.

In short, as others have said, be patient!

Never stop learning

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
clip
Help with chilli ID

Started by surbie100 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 11:17
by compostqueen
xx
Chilli's

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 17:48
by hindy

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 35 queries.