Does anybody do steam blanching?

• 4 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Does anybody do steam blanching?
« on: January 22, 2012, 18:52 »
The trouble with normal boil blanching is it does leach nutrition from the veg, and it's very difficult to time with any accuracy because putting the veg in the water immediately drops the temperature and interrupts the boil. Steam blanching is supposed to be much better in terms of nutrition lost, and it doesn't interrupt the boil so it's easier to time accurately. But does the fact that you're steaming instead of boiling affect the time you should blanch for, or is it much the same?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Does anybody do steam blanching?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 19:06 »
I'd have thought it would be the same time - but would have concerns about whether you'd got an effective blanch unless the veg was in a single layer and not touching any other veg.  Otherwise the steam doesn't reach all the parts of the veg in the time available.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gnome33

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 18:23 »
While talking of steaming I have recently discovered 5-5.5 minutes for a very nice soft boiled egg (with soldiers of course) is much quicker and easier then the traditional pan of boling water and much less trouble with cracking - try it.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 19:02 »
I have for small quantities - one pack of french beans or something like that  - in the electric steamer.  It would be horribly slow (and expensive?) for larger quantities.  I blanch in water and cook from frozen in the steamer over the potatoes.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 23:50 »
While talking of steaming I have recently discovered 5-5.5 minutes for a very nice soft boiled egg (with soldiers of course) is much quicker and easier then the traditional pan of boling water and much less trouble with cracking - try it.

That's an interesting idea, I never thought of trying that :)

xx
Steam Juicers

Started by Taffycake108 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2020, 17:59
by DanielCoffey
xx
Steam juicing - lots of questions

Started by Maryann on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 09:53
by Maryann
xx
Blanching or not ?

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 20:09
by kevinp
xx
blanching

Started by hermon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2006, 17:36
by John

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 34 queries.