Elder bud pickles

• 5 Replies

GB

Elder bud pickles
« on: June 13, 2007, 19:27 »
I have heard that one can pickle elder buds but cant seem to find a recipe for doing so.  So does anyone here have a nice recipe and have any of you ever pickled them and are they nice?

Thanking you in advance :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Elder bud pickles
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 19:45 »
Never heard of that one, but welcome to the forum anyway, if it exists, I'm sure someone here will have heard of it!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

Elder bud pickles
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 20:03 »
Quote from: "google"
Elder Bud Pickle
Collect enough elder buds to fill a small le parfait or kilner jar. Snip them off their stems down to small florets and wash thoroughly. Put into a saucepan with 1 tp Mace, 1 tsp peppercorns, 1 tsp seasalt and the pared and shredded rind of a lemon (try to avoid the bitter pith). Top up with the vinegar of your choice, white wine or cider, or even malt vinegar if you like the taste. Bring to a swift boil, and take immediately from the heat. strain off the liquid and allow it and the buds to cool separately (doing this stops the liquid from overcooking the buds). Put the buds into your sterilized jar (don't use one with a metal lid - as I said Le Parfait or Kilner with a rubber seal is best). Pour over the vinegar liquid - add or remove any of the spices as you prefer, and seal securely. Leave for a month or so to mature and develop the flavour, but the longer the better.

They are a bit like pickled capers or nasturtium seeds, and would prob go equally well with fishy dishes, but I like it as salad pickle variant in a ploughmans type meal. It goes exceptionally well with a really tangy mature cheese and if the buds aren't overcooked, they should still have a pleasing crunchy texture. I don't tend make this in large amounts because I'm the only picklehead in our house. I also tweak the mix with the addition of garlic and chilli - possibly not to everyones taste - but you can be bold and experiment!

Elder flower pickle - (haven't got round to trying this one yet - if you do, could you report back please!?)
Gather enough flowerheads to fill a smallish jar (as above). Shake them lightly to remove unwanted guests, give them a light rinse, and snip down to smallish florets. Fill your jar. Boil some white wine or cider vinegar and pour over the flowers in the jar. Pop the lid on loosely and leave for an hour to cool, then strain off the vinegar and use the florets in a tossed salad. Keep the vinegar for another occasion

On no account eat any parts of the Elder raw as it contains toxins which cooking destroys. There has been some discussion about the berries eaten raw and reports of unpleasant side effects from people who've done so in quantity so again, take care!

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Elder bud pickles
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 23:05 »
welcome in gb see i told you they would be able to tell you on here :wink:

GB

Elder bud pickles
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 10:50 »
The pickle recipe looks fab 8)  Thanks heaps for that :D

And you were absolutely right, Little Miss Muffet, great site, helpful people.
I never will get the house done at this rate :oops:  :lol:

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
Elder bud pickles
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 17:05 »
i know i have4 the same problem :oops:

xx
pickles!

Started by puravida on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post October 29, 2007, 08:04
by gobs
sad
Salty Pickles

Started by CarolynAnne on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 07:40
by New shoot
xx
Non Brine Pickles

Started by Markw on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 15:44
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
blue pickles

Started by Emma on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2006, 12:37
by muntjac

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 38 queries.