Sweetcorn to popcorn?

• 4 Replies

Nickchick

Sweetcorn to popcorn?
« on: August 30, 2009, 19:27 »
Is sweetcorn popcorn ???  If it is how do I dry it?

Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweetcorn to popcorn?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 21:25 »
I'm just visualising the popcorn you can get in the supermarkets and it's not shrivelled, which I think is the likely outcome if you tried to dry corn you'd carved off the cob. 

Seems a bit of a waste of a decent cob, but if you're determined to have a go, you could try putting the individual kernels onto a tray in a very low oven for a while.  But I'm really not convinced they would then be viable to make into popcorn.

Warning, I'm just guessing here so could have got it completely wrong.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 21:36 »
Couldn`t tell you but i can tell you that popcorn isn`t sweetcorn. I planted a patch of old popping corn last year with chicken food in mind and it grew well . We tried a couple of cobs and they were very tough so we dried the rest for the hens as planned.Sweetcorn might pop but not very well. :)

ps Dried it on a rack in the greenhouse.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 21:40 »
someone gave me some "strawberry" mini popcorn last year, but it didn't germinate - it's the one you're supposed to grow if you want popcorn, the blurb is below:-
Top Of The Pops!
Strawberry popcorn has a dwarf seed head that produces child-sized fruit, ideal for popping in the microwave. Here’s a chance to grow your own English popcorn! What fun! Strawberry corn, a miniature version of ordinary sweetcorn, produces an abundance of lovely 5cm ears of deep, ruby red coloured fruit that are shaped like strawberries! They are ideal for making brilliant miniature popcorn, which if you eat without sugar or salt, have the tiniest hint of a strawberry flavour. They also make really interesting decorations, or dinner party gifts.

These plants are excellent for encouraging children in the garden because, not only are they very easy to grow and need little actual care, the colour, shape and size are unique. If you sow in mid-May they’ll be still there after the school holidays, making them ideal subjects for classroom work - assuming we get a little rain in August.

The plant only grows to 1.25m making it ideal for a small garden, tubs or containers.Sow in April under cover, preferably in a heated propagator set at 15°C. Use a good general purpose compost and keep moist. Place two seeds into each pot and discard the smallest seedling once they are clearly established. A second sowing a month after the first can provide a later crop and this can be sown in an unheated propagator.

In late May, when there is no chance of a frost, you can plant the seedlings into their final positions. They like to be bunched together as does ordinary sweetcorn, around 40cm apart. If the weather is poor you can delay this until early June.

It’s not so easy to determine ripeness with the strawberry corn as it is with sweetcorn. Normally you push your nail into one of the kernels on a cob, but these seeds are much smaller, so you have to judge by eye! The cobs are covered with papery leaves, and take around three to four months to produce, depending on your climate. Plants started in April in the north of the country should be ready by the end of August, a couple of weeks earlier in the south. It won’t matter if you pick them a bit too early because as they can’t be eaten like ordinary sweetcorn any lack of sweetness isn’t the end of the world. When picked they should be hung in a dry, airy place and once dry treated as normal popcorn.

The full as printed magazine article can be viewed here - Top Of The Pops - Grow It May 2007.

Swing Swang

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 09:11 »
Horses for courses.

There are over 50 different types of maize, with varying properties. I think that, in particular, the protein content of the maize affects its characteristics as well as the moisture content, fat, starch, oil etc.
http://www.satake.co.uk/cereal_milling/maize_origin.htm

The correct balance will make one more suited to popping and another more suited to eating sweet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn
"Each kernel of popcorn contains a certain amount of moisture and oil. Unlike most other grains, the outer hull of the popcorn kernel is both strong and impervious to moisture, and the starch inside consists almost entirely of a hard, dense type"

SS

xx
Popcorn not popping

Started by Cornflowerblues on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2016, 20:36
by grinling
xx
sweetcorn

Started by friter on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 10:36
by mumofstig
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by MumoftTwo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post August 16, 2006, 16:23
by lentil987
xx
sweetcorn

Started by chickpeacurry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 10:03
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.