Help with digging please?

• 9 Replies

Elcie

Help with digging please?
« on: August 17, 2009, 16:52 »
Is there anyone out there that would like to come and do some digging for me?  Only joking!

But, I was very lucky a few weeks ago to get a second plot, very excited.  Unfortunately my parter and I have since then split up (this is the sob story bit so you give me lots of lovely advice) and it is now down to me to build the raised beds and clear the plot etc.

I was determined that today I was going to build my first raised bed and I did it, I am very proud of myself.  My problem is that I cannot dig the soil.  I know this sounds pathetic but the spade will not go into it more than about 5mm.  I have pulled the grass type weeds off the top so you can see soil but this is full of roots.  I put some manure on top of it today as I thought that might help break up the soil

So, help please on what to do.  Maybe there is a magic tool I can use?  Shall I plant through cardboard into the manure (what though?) shall I use a no-dig method (although I have heard of it I am not sure of the logistics of it).

Thanks for reading, fingers crossed for some advice.

Walewein

Re: Help with digging please?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 17:14 »
Are you very weak?! Or is your spade very blunt. A  spade needs to be sharp in order to dog.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 17:16 »
I know exactly what you mean!! I have to wait until my soil is wet before i can "dig" it, using a fork - i cannot get a spade through it at all. others have suggested buying something like an Azada to break it up first, but if it's clay it will be very difficult at the mo - you may just have to wait for a bit. others might suggest growing on top of cardboard & manure/compost but I've no experience of that so can't say. Good luck anyway whatever you decide,
JMW

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 18:30 »
You need to get rid of the roots as they could produce all sorts of unwanted weeds that will flourish even through manure unless you cover the area with carpet, plastic or something. Try using a fork and do a bit at a time. Soil preparation is the primary thing to achieve what you want so don't skimp it. You must be feeling so down but sometimes a spot of hard, backbreaking work can help to give you a sense of achievement and boost your self-confidence. Go for it girlie - we ladies are survivors! My OH forgot our second wedding anniversary today but we love each other to bits and, having been together for over 25 years, I'm milking it! Douze points to me but he is making my favourite meal plus wine. Maybe I forgive him soon! Prepare that soil, plan your planting scheme for next year, pour a glass of wine, have a soak in the bath and congratulate yourself for what you can do, not what you can't!!  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 18:34 »
Borrow a mattock, bring a flask of tea and I'll come and help. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 19:41 »
 Oh yes Ice....A mattock.  I discovered this tool earlier in spring, and i cleared and dug an area for my comfrey patch.

I also rely on OH to do the initial digging for me, and yes he does it much faster and makes it look easy.  But i cleared and dug a 12ft =x 8Ft space with the mattock and then the fork, and i hadn't even planned to!

Comfrey now doing very well.

Sorry to hear of your split.
Liv.

skywatcher

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 20:00 »
I bought a spade from Wickes to dig some holes for posts but have used it for lots of other digging as it is very easy to use. It is called a Newcastle Drain Tool and I suspect it is for digging ditches as it has a narrow deep blade but it goes in about 18" so really does a good job as more pressure on less width of blade. See http://www.wickes.co.uk/Newcastle-Draining-Tool/invt/167425

I find normal spades too flimsy as I am a bit rough with them but this seems to suit better.

Also be wary about how you tread on the spade. When I was digging out the foundations for my polytunnel I was using the arch of my right foot and ended up not being able to walk for several days due to damaged ligaments.  :ohmy:

Edited by Yorkie to remove sale advert, sorry Skywatcher, but no selling is allowed on the forums
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 20:05 by Yorkie »

Elcie

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 21:32 »
Borrow a mattock, bring a flask of tea and I'll come and help. :)

Great offer!  One of the old boys on the site has a mattock which my ex used to dig the pond so I could ask for this.  Will maybe try tomorrow.  I have one bed done and am aiming for 2 more beds by the weekend.  That gets me round the edge of the blue cover (can't remember what it is called) I have put down.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 21:35 »
The offer is still there.  Can't do much in my garden at the moment as I am now skint and my chicken project requires money.  Will work for tea and possibly a biscuit or two. :lol:

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 21:51 »
Thanks Ice, might just take you up on that.

xx
digging hoe, which one? and why?

Started by vixen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 14:18
by TerryB
xx
Digging over

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 15, 2012, 19:10
by allotmentann
xx
my way digging

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2016, 21:48
by 3759allen
xx
Digging over

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 21:08
by Nige2Plots

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 39 queries.