Can I cloche now?

• 20 Replies

viettaclark

Re: Can I cloche now?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 23:28 »
Just did a night hunt. MY GOD! Got about 50+ HUGE slime balls, snipped them in half with the scissors and left them to ooze guts. :tongue2: to you sluggies!

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 01:45 »
i was in a dilemma about using the blue slug pellets as nowt else seemed to work.  As an experiment instead of scattering these about by shaking directly from the packet I shook some out into a tray and placed the odd blue pellet very widely spaced in amongst the lettuce - this seemed to do the trick and I used a fraction of what would come out.....    a bit time consuming but thats not a prob if you have the patience....

My father always tells me I am too heavy handed with the slug pelllets even when I try to carefully shake out even fewer than the instructions state so I think you have the right idea - works out cheaper and fewer pellets sprinkled about seem to do the job well. ;)

It seems that the slugs actively search for the pellets (maybe by smell as their eye-sight is pretty lousy I'm told). So just a few strategically dropped pellets will be how I use them on the plot next time - thanks!  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

goodegg

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 16:44 »
ive never had peas eaten by slugs i was shure they didnt like them and i hhave been growing for years are you sure it was slugs

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 16:59 »
If you're only planting a few plants, you could try cutting rings from plastic pop bottles, attach a circle of copper slug tape & place round your plants & into the soil a little. You can re-use them from year to year too. If snails are your problem remember to buy the copper tape with the jagged edge, or it won't work.

mashauk

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 17:20 »
I'm experimenting with a tip I saw in Permaculture magazine and so far (fingers crossed) it's working, I've put pennies round my lettuce seedlings, works like copper tape.  I'm not convinced it will keep them off once the leaves are bigger and touch the ground but it seems to keeping the weaker seedlings safe.

viettaclark

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 00:50 »
And another 11 o'clock hunt....another 40 ! Put down a couple of icecream tubs of well slimey kitchen compost at about 8 o'clock and got about 15 on there...the rest were hovering round the raised beds. They were all HUGE!!! Snip snip...oozing guts. Also squished a few big cabbage white caterpillars on the broccoli!! Death to all pests who munch my greens!! (except the kids) :D :D

xx
What is a cloche?

Started by coo! on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 23:11
by Knoblauch
xx
under the cloche.....

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 19:15
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Cloche

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 15:09
by Nadlen
question
Cloche or not

Started by Ledders on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2014, 09:17
by cadalot

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 39 queries.