What I did on the plot today 2021

• 113 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2021
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 08:24 »
More stuff at home yesterday while we had a break from the rain for the day.

I root pruned and repotted my Gingko trees that I keep as largish bonsai specimens.  Also repotted the Chilean Guava and top dressed the potted olive tree and Szechuan pepper bush.  That is all the big potted stuff dealt with now  :)   

Then I played around and moved bulb pots so I have a nice display positioned outside the back door to look forward to.  I potted up some primroses, bellis and violas for the plant theatre, but left them in the greenhouse for now as we are forecast lashing rain and sleet for the next couple of days  ::)

snowdrops

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 09:31 »
been making [potato]  chitting  trays managing to make 1 a day thank god for that electric bench saw the wife said we should be digging the potatoes by the time i get enough trays made  :lol:

What are you actually making, a segmented tray? I just use the plastic inserts in a seed tray  :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2021, 17:05 »
Carried on with the polytunnel build. Base and door posts now done. It was blooming cold!!
IMG_0826.JPG

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2021, 00:27 »
I worked on renovating an outdoor storage room, which looked like the inside of a skip for longer than I care to admit. It's an ongoing project, I hope to be done sometime this month. Most of the garden tools and supplies reside there.
Big tasks are demolishing non-functional metal shelves, recycle what I can, landfill what can't be recycled, clean, mend walls, paint, build new sturdy shelves. Today was mostly painting, building the shelves is next.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 04:18 »
I double dug a bed and added loads of manure ,hard graft had to fight the urge to quit lol but glad I got it done

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 18:24 »
Finished the polytunnel build!!
IMG_0827.JPG
IMG_0828.JPG
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 18:26 by bayleaf »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2021, 21:36 »
Regarding the garden tool storage room I posted about a few days ago, 90 % of the wood for the shelves is cut and drilled, ready for assembly. I'm probably going to start assembly after dinner tonight, do more tomorrow.

The shelves are 16 feet long, 8 feet tall.  There are cut-outs around 2 east-facing windows, there will be shelves beneath the windows to start garden seedlings.

The walls facing the shelves will have peg board for tool organization.

snowdrops

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2021, 21:43 »
Regarding the garden tool storage room I posted about a few days ago, 90 % of the wood for the shelves is cut and drilled, ready for assembly. I'm probably going to start assembly after dinner tonight, do more tomorrow.

The shelves are 16 feet long, 8 feet tall.  There are cut-outs around 2 east-facing windows, there will be shelves beneath the windows to start garden seedlings.

The walls facing the shelves will have peg board for tool organization.

That sounds a great space Sub  :)

The Persistent Novice

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 18:58 »
I have been holding off because of the cold snap, but with that now receding I have had a busy day in both the polytunnel on the allotment and at home. Peas have been sown into three lengths of guttering suspended in the polytunnel and two 42ltr buckets have been planted with Maris Piper spuds in an attempt to force a few with the benefit of the tunnel. At home I have sown both sweet and chilli pepper seeds, celery and, a tip I learnt here last year, a cat litter tray filled with compost and sown with leeks. Hopefully the tunnel will assist in bringing things on a bit earlier than last year, well, that how I persuaded the good lady to agree to the purchase of the tunnel at the time.
51773F0C-BCFE-4768-9AA0-2DE5C83C2C6F.jpeg
5208B781-566E-464A-BB11-0D0127394F8C.jpeg

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2021, 14:22 »
Ooh you're lucky Persistent Novice, your other half lets you put seed trays on the furniture indoors by the looks of it, never gonna happen here ! Have to wait and do it in my cold greenhouse :( .
Down the plot, I've dug in the Phacelia that overwintered, which I've tried for the first time, while the weather was ok yesterday. Must say it didn't grow very high - 4-6 inches? Maybe I ought to plant earlier in future? Spuds will eventually go in there. Also had to sow more broad bean seeds as some of the over winter Aquadulce are looking a bit worse for wear due to rain and wind I'm guessing. Wanted to sow some "Bee Bombs" I bought, but it says early spring, so thought I'd better wait. Also dug up last of parsnip, but they are huge (about 4" width and 8 or 9 " long) and inedible, left too long methinks.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 01:22 »
Posting a quick snap of my tool storage space with shelving in progress. The uprights are mostly done, the cross pieces and shelf boards come next.

(I know, you look at it now, and you probably are thinking poor SP has been sleeping too close to the car exhaust). I will probably post more about it in the Design and Construction section.

By the way, that far wall used to have a huge hole in it, and paint that looked like the dog's breakfast.
16135247552031102411183.jpg
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 01:32 by Subversive_plot »

rowlandwells

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 16:21 »
much to wet to even walk on the plot so its repairing and painting  garden tools including a seed packet rack together with a weekly sowing chart the wife has been in the greenhouse's prep for spring wishful thinking or what  :D

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2021, 05:13 »
I did a little fill-in planting of sugar snap peas today.  I noted that rabbits seem to like nibbling the tops off of the pea plants.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2021, 18:58 »
Planted scallions and lettuce. I'm chitting tomatoes, aubergines, jalapenos, getting them ready to go into community pots.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2021, 01:25 »
I've been working on the tool storage shelving I posted about  back on February 1, 6, and 17. If you want to see how it is progressing, have a look over at the Design and Construction section: https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=134330.0
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 01:28 by Subversive_plot »

xx
Are you already planning your 2021 vegetable plot?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 08:56
by basketcase
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.562 seconds with 55 queries.