any pea experts out there

• 18 Replies

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« on: September 11, 2008, 10:26 »
Peas - For the second year i didn't grow many peas and with the prices in the shops going up I really want to get it right. They grew well but only enough for a few meals. I picked up 7 packets of peas including Meteor, for Autumn sowing.

When can i sow autumn sown peas and is it possible to sow under cover, i was thinking maybe some outside and some in my PT.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

matron

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:34 »
Ooooh autumn sowing peas - I didn't know you could get them.
I will be interested in the answer - I am sure DD will be around to answer soon.  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:39 »
Never grown them this end of the season but you will have to make sure they are protected from pigeons etc  :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 12:45 »
Last year I grew Meteor in a large pot in the greenhouse I sowed 11th Dec then put the pot out in the spring. To be truthful the taste is a bit bland so this year I am not going to bother trying early peas.

But you should try just to see for yourself, I'm not trying to put you off.
Paul

poppies

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 14:03 »
Hi I am no expert but we have just planted feltham first in modules and when big enough will put them out under fleece to over winter

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 14:25 »
Over here we don't bother with autumn peas. But we do go full tilt with summer peas. To get enough, you really do have to plant a lot of pea seeds and dedicate a space for them (not crowding them in, etc) We also give our soil a good manuring in fall and the peas appreciate it. Spring pea varieties also differ in how many pods they set, so it helps to read info on varieties you're interested in. While I love petit pois, they just don't produce heavily as it's not in their genes, so I've switched to a larger heritage pea variety that crops heavily and is tasty.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 14:52 »
Ahh, knew I'd find it. check out DD's peas in the pic here

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=22467&highlight=photos

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 15:59 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Over here we don't bother with autumn peas. But we do go full tilt with summer peas. To get enough, you really do have to plant a lot of pea seeds and dedicate a space for them (not crowding them in, etc) We also give our soil a good manuring in fall and the peas appreciate it. Spring pea varieties also differ in how many pods they set, so it helps to read info on varieties you're interested in. While I love petit pois, they just don't produce heavily as it's not in their genes, so I've switched to a larger heritage pea variety that crops heavily and is tasty.

I've just counted up and i have 2100 pea seeds. So i'm sure i can afford some failures. I've no idea how much room that will take up. Someone said sow in a domino effect with 2.5cm between each pea. So I'm guessing that will be a few 20ft rows.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 16:08 »
Ahh, knew I'd find it. check out DD's peas in the pic here

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=22467&highlight=photos

Great photos, yes that's the amount i want to aim for, could anyone tell me if they think they are just double rows

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 23:18 »
I'm guessing that they are double rows; you often get peas that just won't sprout or are snatched by wildlife, so having a double row would ensure the space has at least 1 plant. 2 is always a bonus if you really like peas and need lots. I've tried doing 3 rows of seed in a spacing like that and it didn't work so well; have gone back to 2 rows.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 10:31 »
I'm guessing that they are double rows; you often get peas that just won't sprout or are snatched by wildlife, so having a double row would ensure the space has at least 1 plant. 2 is always a bonus if you really like peas and need lots. I've tried doing 3 rows of seed in a spacing like that and it didn't work so well; have gone back to 2 rows.

Based on that info  i'll try double rows.

so trillium have you ever grown enough peas is it ever possible?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 11:09 »
I planted a second crop of peas (ambassador this time) after my first lot had finished about a month ago and they have shot up like wildfire despite the complete lack of sun or warmth. Grown much faster than the original ones although I suppose it could be the difference in type. Pods are forming and loads of flowers.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Cleo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 12:27 »
It's been so mild here we still have a crop of summer peas.

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 00:38 »
Quote from: "little sweetpeas"
... have you ever grown enough peas is it ever possible?

Yes, it is possible. Dedicate the row to them (meaning, no interplanting with stuff like lettuce), make sure they get enough sun, support as in DD's pic, and a good variety that will crop well. We had to cut back a whole row because we grew so many that we were giving them away. There's only so much room in the freezers  :lol:

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 09:10 »
Quote from: "little sweetpeas"
... have you ever grown enough peas is it ever possible?

Yes, it is possible. Dedicate the row to them (meaning, no interplanting with stuff like lettuce), make sure they get enough sun, support as in DD's pic, and a good variety that will crop well. We had to cut back a whole row because we grew so many that we were giving them away. There's only so much room in the freezers  :lol:

:D  I'll start planning for next year  :D

clip
PSB Experts!!

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2020, 12:15
by AnneB
xx
one for the fruit experts

Started by sparky on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 23, 2008, 15:44
by richyrich7
xx
any bokashi experts?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 04, 2009, 19:14
by DavidT
xx
Any blueberry experts out there?

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 13:17
by angeltreats

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 39 queries.