Run flooring

• 6 Replies

Rasco

• HMS Lancaster
Run flooring
« on: October 12, 2010, 12:13 »
Hi All,

Although I let my girls roam free when I am at home my eglu run is fast becoming devoid of grass.
Should I just drag it from spot to spot and denude my garden of greenstuff or is there a recommended floor covering. If so what, how deep and how frequently should I change it?

Thanks!
Thanks, Dave.

compostqueen

Re: Run flooring
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 12:35 »
There is video footage on the OMLET website which shows how the Eglu and it's run is spun round to a fresh piece of grass. It's very easy for one person to do, but to move it further usually involves temporarily disconnecting the Eglu from the run which is also easy. Have a look at it and then you can then come back with any further questions about it  :)

The girls will appreciate fresh clean grass every day

They would love a bigger run though and you can get extension pieces for the Eglu run or invest in a bigger run completely and put the Eglu in it

There are loads of photos there as well which will inspire you (see the Gallery)
  :)

Rasco

• HMS Lancaster
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:10 »
Thanks Compostqueen,

I will follow your advice.

I did invest in the 3m run and as I said the girls are out all weekend and from mid afternoon until they decide to call it a day, so they do have a good opportunity to stock up on the green stuff!

I just wondered if my run stands in the same place should I cover the now bare ground?

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:05 »
If you are planing to leave the run where it is then i would put some bark chippings down the sort that you get from b@q and your girls will love it. :)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 11:09 »
I did that eventually Jeanette  :)  I followed the instructions on Omlet and made the bark chipping corale.  It's a bit of a faff to get the chippings back out again unless you have a long rake, or disconnect the run from the Eglu itself.  They do need changing regularly!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:41 »
I have a big walk in run, but they've demolished every green thing they can get their beaks on.

My run is now covered, to stop everything turning to slush in the winter, and they just have the dry earth as their floor.  Its one huge dust bath, which I damp down now and then with the hose.  They love it.  I only use chipping on the muddy bits, if the rain blows in, otherwise bare earth is fine.

They will need greens though.  Mine have access to the garden compost, with lots of green stuff etc for them to sort through, and also have regular bunches of greens hung in the run for them to peck at.

DannyBoy230

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 14:34 »
Hi there all,

I have a fixed place run and like others anything that was once green in there has since gone! This time of year it's turns into a muddy slush which is so time consuming to clear.

I have taken to purchasing a bale of Hemcore, and during my weekly clean I simply shovel it all up and I sprinkle a new load over the ground after. It composts really well and a £9 bale lasts me about 2 months (this would depend on the area of your run though, mine is 18m2)

xx
Run Flooring

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 15:57
by grumpydad
xx
Run flooring

Started by Chippet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 22:25
by Geo
xx
flooring.

Started by cejx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:01
by Dickie73
xx
flooring for mud

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 14:13
by chirpycheepcheep

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 35 queries.