Suicidal pullets

• 4 Replies

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Suicidal pullets
« on: October 08, 2009, 15:48 »
I may have scored a first here. Roughlee Handled has given up on this problem and sent me to start a new thread.

I have three troublesome pullets who won't go to sleep in the henhouse.  They get into the hedge and it is impossible to extricate the little blighters as they are not on it but IN it. It is an old dense hedge 10 feet high and over 2 feet deep of tightly criss-crossing little branches and still in full leaf so you can't actually see them either, even if you stick your head into it (painfully scratchy). Oh and I forgot to say it is 60 feet long.

The coop is clean as far as I can tell and the other 9 hens have no issues with sleeping in there. If I thought perhaps they just didn't like going in with the established flock, that would be fair does. But they had the little quarantine coop when they first came, and as soon as they were allowed out they took to roosting in the hedge. Perhaps that is what they were used to on the farm - I didn't think to ask. They fly like no-body's business as well, although radically clipped wings and plastic plant mesh festooning the run has greatly limited their scope. And they can squeeze through tinly gaps that the other hens can't even see. But that is all fixable. It's the roosting outdoors that worries me.

I would be much much happier locking them in the hen house if I could get to them before they roost, but they roost before anyone else has gone to bed, and if I open the pop hole to let the others get to bed they run out again and up into the hedge... sigh. I am beginning to think that if they are so bone headed they deserve to be fox fodder  :wacko:
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

poultrygeist

Re: Suicidal pullets
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 15:56 »
Can't offer any advice Jane, but thank you for sharing  :D

I'd be inclined to leave them to it until they decide it too flippin cold and the henhouse looks a whole lot more inviting.

Could they have been bullied in there at first ?

ROb 8)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 16:16 »
I may have scored a first here. Roughlee Handled has given up on this problem and sent me to start a new thread.

:mad: I have not given up on you.

:unsure:

Just not sure what to do.

The only thing I would suggest is Catch the flighty b*ggers and clip one wing, then lock em in the coop for at least 24hrs. 

A fishing keep net is a useful tool to catch them, but vary it or as soon as they see the net they are off.

Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 21:27 »
I wouldn't give up on them, can you get them in the hen house at all? If so put them in a box[or something] then open pop hole for the others to come in, perhaps worth a try, ?
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 21:30 »
I also have one that roosts in an apple tree at a height that I can't reach (did get step ladders but she just climbed up higher. I have no alternative but to hope that when the leaves drop she decides to go back in the shed. Tonight it is rather cold here but she's still up there in her tree  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Suicidal Silkie

Started by calli on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2007, 23:41
by calli
xx
How much for pullets just now

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 22, 2009, 20:27
by Hans Mum
xx
How much are pullets to buy?

Started by BJ on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 12:41
by BJ
xx
Pullets

Started by Andy J on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 22:30
by henpecked

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 29 queries.