Flooring in run

• 15 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Flooring in run
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:43 »
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=45207.0

Above is the link to the henhouse and run that my clever hubby made for our girls

We started with a bit of grass and left the rest as soil. We soon found that cleaning the pooh from the mud when wet was not very nice so we layed some slabs which was easier to scrub down and some grass which is now mud. Infact most of the slabs are now covered in mud from the dust baths Even though the slabs are easier to wash down it makes everything wet and not ideal.

I wondered what most others have on the floor of their runs and what proves to be the best.

Thank you in advance of your replies. :)

bee

Re: Flooring in run
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 14:13 »
New to this - only had them in the henhouse and run two months - but we've got a thick layer, about 8 inches, of wood chip, hard below, topped with soft. They love digging in it and it looks almost as good as when we started. Am wondering when I need to change it though.

Chickens well and truly rake it over but am wondering about the hygiene aspect. Keep thinking I'll get some of that stanislan to sprinkle on that people keep mentioning. Haven't yet worried cos it looks pretty clean still.

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 16:05 »
We've also been through the grass to mud phase, the girls are forever scratching up any available grass aren't they. As we are now at the quagmire stage and the weather is only going to get wetter hubby is about to hopefully aerate the ground by spiking with a garden fork and then put down tree bark. It seems a lot of people have very good results with this, either on its own or mixed with gravel pebbles and soil. I believe you can then use stalosan f to keep it fresh. :)

Jan.

bee

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 17:40 »
Stalosan f looks more like what I'm looking for - thanks!

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 18:27 »
wood bark from a tree surgeon { sometimes free } is ideal , the girls will adore digging around in it for the bugs and also it prevides a non slip floor covering for when its really wet .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 18:44 »
Stalosan f looks more like what I'm looking for - thanks!

You're welcome Bee  :) I only remembered it because I'd copied it into 'word' as my memory is atrocious. It's just finding the stuff now as I've Googled but it seems to only be available on-line?

Jan.x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 09:06 »
Our local pet shop stocks it so perhaps yours could order it in  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

jackieb

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 09:42 »
Aubiose here, yesterday we had dreadful driving rain and the flooring got wet through the sides of the run.  This morning I just flipped it over with my large plastic rake and the underneath was lovely and dry for the girlies to walk on this morning,  It's a doddle for poo picking as it absorbs all the moisture.  If you take a look on my blog at the latest pictures the aubiose has been down at least 3 weeks and will probably need to be changed in 3-4 weeks time.

www.craftygarden.blogspot.com

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 12:31 »
we used bark when ours had a run, there was a slab near the gate but it just got covered as they scratched about.  We renewed the bark about twice a yr but things did still get a bit muddy in the winter.  :(
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 16:36 »
Jackieb, I like the sound of Aubiose, had never heard of it before but 'googled' and found that it's a type bedding material used for horses. The way that it soaks up moisture would be fab and I'm thinking of mixing it in with our tree bark plus a possible change over from straw in the girls sleeping coop. Your girlies are beautiful by the way and Penny is just like our Dandy..... a brown Warren who has so much white in her feathering that she looks as if she's visited the hairdressers for highlights  :)

Jan.x

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 16:48 »
I use Hemcore (which is the same as Aubiose) in the coop but the run is a bit big so will have a look at the bark.

Thank you  everyone  :)

poppies

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 16:58 »
Dont be tempted to use straw I used it in my main pen last year it acts like a sponge, even on the windiest day's it dose'nt dry out

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 17:57 »
Definately on the lookout for Hemcore now as I'm struggling to find Aubiose. As soon as I can buy some it will replace the straw and we'll probably mix it in with the tree bark for absorbancy.  :)

Jan.x

bee

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 19:18 »
Hi Joyfull

I'm in Lincolnshire too, near Horncastle. Is that pet shop anywhere near me?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 20:01 »
Stalosan F is available from SAPS in Spalding, so it's a little bit of a trek for you, but if you are coming down this way then you could call in there  :D

xx
flooring.

Started by cejx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:01
by Dickie73
xx
flooring for mud

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 14:13
by chirpycheepcheep
xx
What to use for flooring

Started by stujem on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 02:35
by hillfooter
xx
run flooring help!!

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 22:17
by Dawnuss

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 37 queries.