Munty's runner bean frame

• 273 Replies

argaric

Munty's one way to grow runner beans
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2009, 20:44 »
Didn't wait for purple sprouting to finish put mine over it, by the time psb is done the benas will be ready to go in  :)

Regards,
  Argaric

Celery

• Experienced Member
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2009, 21:40 »
I think I will have to give Munty frame a go.Do you think using wire ties would make it stonger.
           celery

Digger Mum

« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2009, 17:01 »
Call me stupid but which part of the frame should be facing South?
Tallest, wider part?
Shortest, wider part?
Or, one of the 'ends'?

I'm guessing tallest, wider part... Am I wrong?

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2009, 18:52 »
Call me stupid but which part of the frame should be facing South?
Tallest, wider part?
Shortest, wider part?
Or, one of the 'ends'?

I'm guessing tallest, wider part... Am I wrong?

Tallest part shoud be facing south, well acording to the original plans.

If not i have boo boobed  :lol:
Carlisle

vetskh

« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2009, 20:39 »
I am keen to try munty's bean frame design, but I was wondering what would fit in with my beds on the allotment. they are 6x1.5m with the narrow side facing south. This would mean having the frame only 1.5metres across which feels a bit short. does that sound ok to get a good crop of beans? Would the frame work as well rotated 90*?

Paul Plots

« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2009, 22:04 »
Here's me chancing my arm but........

I have a feeling that a runner bean's sole intention is to get growing upwards if it can.... along the ground if it can't in search of anything to wind its way up.

Although growing it on a frame pointing in one particular direction might give the plant/s a bit of an advantage... I'm pretty sure they'll just keep growing up as far as they can no matter which direction a frame might be pointing. (I am pretty positive they are not going to claw at the ether in a vain hope of attaching themselves to something that’s not there growing north south or vice versa if there's something nearby even if it is in the wrong direction)  :blink:

I have almost everything lined up either across or along the line of my plot. I can't be doing with diagonals or off skews at wonky angles. I'm sure my plot lays SW / NE so my experimental Munty-frame is just going to have to line up with the outside edge of the plot and the runner beans like it or lump it.  :tongue2:

So... come harvest-time I will be regretting this firm minded attitude or simply saying, "Yep, mother nature is a wonderful thing! Despite our scientific interference it still copes!"

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Lee G

• Experienced Member
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2009, 13:44 »
Hooray for the North/South rebels!!

I have to confess I have no idea what way my plot or bean bed are aligned with the sun, I have enough work to do as it is  :ohmy:  So I have plodded on in the belief that as long as it shines, they won't care too much which way they are facing, as long as they can see the sun  8).  I'm adapting the bean bed I used last year and I had gazillions of lovely beans - I was giving them away left right and centre and eating them for every meal except breakfast - bean curries, soups, salads, you name it, I think I made it.

If anything, the only thing I want my munty frame to do, is to allow me to pick my beans without having to stick my head in a mass of dense foliage, especially as I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to getting creepy crawlies on my face  :tongue2:  :blush:

monkeywobbler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2009, 13:13 »
Right guys - this here is my munty frame.
One on the right is the first one and the one on the left is the second one. I have my doubts as to how sturdy they are but we shall see how well they do!
munty frame.jpg

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2009, 22:49 »
Ok, Im going to try a small Munty frame in my spanking new raised beds.  Space is tight so I love the idea of growing stuff underneath - what do you think would do best:  carrots, courgette or calabrese?  Or even peas?

The beds are about 1.2m wide (N-S) and 2.7m long (E-W), and over 2 feet deep.  Will also have (hopfeully!) fresh new topsoil, manure and compost. 3 beds with only one getting good sunlight, other two really partial shade.

I know salad crops have been recommended in the thread but I want to make the most of my sunniest bed, saving the cruddy shady bed for my salad.

Cheers

TheModfather

• VegPlotBlog
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2009, 18:23 »
Thought I might have a go at this. Its not fully completed yet and I'm doubtful that it would stand up in the strongest of winds but anyway...

When is the best time to plant these runner beans???

Cheers.

(Struggling to upload photos onto the post using Flikr - does anyone have any tips?)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 18:45 by TheModfather »

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2009, 08:15 »
Ok, Im going to try a small Munty frame in my spanking new raised beds.  Space is tight so I love the idea of growing stuff underneath - what do you think would do best:  carrots, courgette or calabrese?  Or even peas?

The beds are about 1.2m wide (N-S) and 2.7m long (E-W), and over 2 feet deep.  Will also have (hopfeully!) fresh new topsoil, manure and compost. 3 beds with only one getting good sunlight, other two really partial shade.

I know salad crops have been recommended in the thread but I want to make the most of my sunniest bed, saving the cruddy shady bed for my salad.

Cheers

Sorry to re-post, but any thoughts on what would do best under  my munty frame?   :)

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2009, 10:42 »

Cheers

Sorry to re-post, but any thoughts on what would do best under  my munty frame?   :)

I believe Salad's may work best and somebody said quick growing caulies.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2009, 10:52 »
I usually plant a couple of courgette plants under it - level with the front edge to give you space to stand to harvesting the beans.

gawk

« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2009, 11:36 »
I'm going to plant either courgettes or some salad crops under mine. I'm also going to plant a sunflower up against each of tallest poles ;)
It's all too much!

Paul Plots

« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2009, 12:19 »
I'm going to plant either courgettes or some salad crops under mine. I'm also going to plant a sunflower up against each of tallest poles ;)

Shove a butternut squash up the two tall posts.... trailing type. Tie them in to give them the right idea and they should share with the beans. Better crop from butternut than sunflower although maybe not so pretty?  ;)

xx
Ask Munty - Planting Tips

Started by Smudgeboy on Growing FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 18:26
by DD.
xx
making your own seed compost the munty way

Started by muntjac on Growing FAQs and other Information

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:10
by muntjac

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 57 queries.