Puppy Lead/Leash Training

• 10 Replies

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
Puppy Lead/Leash Training
« on: March 11, 2017, 15:37 »
Hello, I've just acquired a 14 week old Border Collie bitch puppy. In the middle of vaccinations. So, not at the stage to mix with other dogs. Before taking her out into the big wide world I'm trying my hardest to get her to accept using a lead/leash. I can put the lead/leash onto her collar. But, she just will not move. Ears back, tail between her legs. I'm tried enticing her with treats, calling her, whistling. I've tried these ways and means both indoors and outdoors. I just can not get her to move. Can anybody offer advice please. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.   

8doubles

Re: Puppy Lead/Leash Training
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 15:52 »
Tie her favourite toy on the end then ignore her while you do her food ! ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 16:50 »
Try putting a short piece of string or something to her collar & as 8doubles says leave her alone for a while, play with a toy she likes or get her food ready. Then progress to holding the string & when she's used to that replay with leash
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 12:08 »
Thanks to you both for your useful advice. It's much appreciated.

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 18:28 »
As you say its a puppy, give her a chance still getting jabs , shes in a strange place away from the litter,
Collie's are one of the most intelligent dogs out there  working dogs at that, she needs all the friends she can get in your home   BUT only one master,, good luck with her as they are a good breed of dog to have around the home,,
Colin

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 14:08 »
Well, it worked. OK, because of current circumstances, using a lead/leash only within the garden and back pathway. Thanks to all. Another 13 days before the wide world!!

Now, toilet training????? I know there is loads of information available on the subject online. And of course all dogs are different!! But, any ideas of what I can try-out please? She is using training mats. More hits than misses. But, the training guides say move the mats gradually after a while towards the door. I've done this a few times - after which she does her business where the mat was!!!!! Or am I just being impatient? Thanks.     

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 15:05 »
Take her out last thing at night, at  first thing in the morning until she goes make a fuss when inside give her a
little treat

grinling

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 19:58 »
How are things going?

I took our pup out after every meal and every hour, but she was got when already trained, but needed a nudge at our house.

When changing the mat, take the soiled one outside so she is used to it there.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 15:28 »
Well, things have certainly progressed since. She is now 99.99% doing her business outside. The 00.01% is when I forget to leave the back door open and is elsewhere when she is desperate! First thing in the morning and last thing at night I open the back door shout "go and have a wee" and off she goes. Since being able to take her into the wide world, and we have been on numerous walks, she will always wait until we are back home before she completes her business in my postage stamp size garden! After that first walk she is eager for me to put on her leash. She knows time for "walkies". As of yet I have not released her from the leash whilst on a walk. I believe it is still too early. I now do not use training mats.

grinling

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 18:43 »
we had the doors open when we first got Cookie, but she had to learn to do 1 bark to be let in and out.
we do training classes which has helped alot, but she is still a puppy with another 5 months until fully grown

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 19:42 »
My son bought a large shop bell, think Arkrights, he mounted it on a piece of wood & placed it by the back door. Maggie bashes it with her paw to ring it when she wants to go outside, she took aweekend to train, she has been known to ring it when she wants to be let in to the lounge.

xx
Puppy will not eat puppy food

Started by wendyg on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 13:37
by arugula
xx
Dog training/training me

Started by asd1 on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2011, 21:08
by asd1
xx
Our JRT puppy

Started by Green man on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 17:39
by snow white
xx
Puppy!!!!

Started by YoungChickenLover on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post November 26, 2012, 15:32
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 39 queries.