Where to keep Chickens

• 36 Replies

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
Re: Where to keep Chickens
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 09:07 »

so being out to free range that much what chance would our garden stand?

With a fenced off veggie patch, and protection for precious things in borders, the only damage will be to your lawn.  If you're not planning on test cricket, then don't worry.  But they will scratch bits up.  Actually, ours recently took to scratching up moss which was fine!  Did the job for us, but it did look a bl***y mess!
Sue

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 09:08 »
.. and I should add that they are just a delight an soooo addictive and fun, and you won't care about your lawn!

desandchez

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 10:25 »
Hi we live near you in Leatherhead we got our girls from a very nice lady at Southmead poultry in Leatherhead she is very knowledgable and sells ducks as well. Best of luck

shiatsusu

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 12:21 »
im not sure if im less or more confused LOL

ok this is what it comes down to, we would love chickens and can put them on the grass (be it on chips or not) we would let them out for a bit at weekends and probably some evenings in the summer when getting home from work, in that time how much havoc could they cause? they wouldnt be out that much and we would either be in the garden or not far away....

i think we have already concluded we will have to fence off the veggie patch but we have lots of pigeons anyway so probably just as well

(our garden is a proper family garden (no kids - not yet anyway!) roughly 30mx10m, lawn area, brick pathway, pretty wendyhouse and shed and im not sure we would be prepared to hand all that over to 2 chickens :/ - we have already turned a chunk of the flower border to a veggie patch stuck right in the middle of the garden!)

so being out to free range that much what chance would our garden stand?

You'll be surprised at the damage they can do in a very short space of time- all my bulbs were dug out in under half an hour the day before yesterday- I'd foolishly thought they were safe because they'd ignored them all weekend!  :( The only way to ensure you keep certain bits of your garden the way you want it to be is to fence it off. BUT... the chooks are worth every second of effort I promise  ::)

milan

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 15:59 »
thanks everyone :-)

does anyone out there have any tales of their chickens not destroying their garden?

andreadon

• My Diary

raeburg

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 16:26 »
No, what the chickens haven't destroyed the kids have (apart from the 15 foot pyrocantha (however it's spelt)

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Do chickens need a run in the sun?

Started by stickywicket on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post October 08, 2007, 14:21
by ChickenAnn

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 35 queries.