sweet peas

• 12 Replies

snow white

sweet peas
« on: January 11, 2013, 18:49 »
I was hoping to start some sweet peas off this month.  Do I need to start them on the window sill first?  Or can I just put them straight into the coldframe I have?  Or shall I wait till March? All advise/experience welcome.

sion01

Re: sweet peas
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 19:00 »
I start them on a windowsill then gradually introduce them to the big wide world

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 19:20 »
I caught an interesting clip from Monty Don on sweetpeas where he did 3 different planting times and noted the results.

Seeds started about now got off to a good start and yielded well and early.

Seeds started around March got off to a good start and yielded heavily for a longer period of time.

Seeds direct seeded around May had the smallest yield of all.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 19:25 »
I've got some going in a cold greenhouse.  I sowed them in December and they are just popping up now.  If you put them in a propagator or warm windowsill they will come up faster, but you still have to wait for the weather outside to warm up.  I put mine outside too soon last year and they tried but struggled with the cold and wet.
Anne

snow white

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:41 »
Think I will have to get my patient hat on and wait until March.  ::)  So keen to get growing.  :D

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 11:06 »
Ooh I love sweet peas. My mum always grew them and they always smell so gorgeous! Might have to get a wigwam of canes up to grow some :)
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

Sweetpea C

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 12:45 »
 :D at last., something I do know about!

I have been growing sweetpeas in different ways for years, that said last year was a wipe out apart from a random seed that grew by itself and gave lots of flowers (and seeds).

I've started half of the harvested seeds in the greenhouse and have already pinched them out so they start to bulk. The others I am going to direct sow in March, we'll see what happens.

Lovely cut flowers to perfume the house. Good luck :-)

Caroline

My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 14:04 »
Monty Don found that Autumn sown Sweet peas produced the most flowers - sowing now means they'll be on catch up but they'll be better than leaving it til March. Pic from the program here
http://lewishamgardens.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8021575-monty-don-s-sweetpea-sowing-trial

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 17:03 »
Interesting, that forum link - my memory of the results was in line with Trillium's post  :wacko:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 17:46 »
I've sown mine now as I find that early sown plants lend themselves to being pinched out and the more branched they are, the more flowers you get. I didn't autumn sow as it was so mild I thought they would be up to the greenhouse roof by now  :lol:

They do need a coldframe or greenhouse to live in though as it is too warm inside. If you don't have either, then it is better to wait.  Either way they are lovely and worth growing  :)

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 18:35 »
That's what I thought too, Yorkie. Althought the December sown plants grew huge, their output wasn't nearly as good as the March sown ones  which is what really surprised Monty. And me. Logic says the December ones should flower most, but it didn't happen that way.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 15:23 »
Monty Don found that Autumn sown Sweet peas produced the most flowers - sowing now means they'll be on catch up but they'll be better than leaving it til March. Pic from the program here
http://lewishamgardens.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8021575-monty-don-s-sweetpea-sowing-trial

This GW discussion thread seems to agree that Monty did say Autumn sown were best - whether we agree with that is a different matter  :lol:
http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/autumn-sowing-sweet-peas/5550.html

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 13:04 »
I sowed some in pots on my window cill 3 weeks ago.  They were up within a week and now are 4" tall.  I've already pinched them out so that they can become bushy.  I intend to sow some more in March so that I have a (more or less) continuous supply for the house.  Can't wait.

xx
sweet peas

Started by flowergirl on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 13:01
by David.
xx
sweet peas

Started by CaroM on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 09:19
by CaroM
xx
Sweet peas - how many?

Started by purplebean on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2008, 15:52
by purplebean
xx
Sweet peas

Started by Lupin lurcher on General Gardening

111 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 18:47
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 36 queries.