Hens not laying... help!

• 6 Replies

Button07

Hens not laying... help!
« on: November 14, 2009, 21:13 »
Hi All,

I am the first to admit I am a novice in the chicken keeping world and am in need of some advice from all you experts out there!

I have two Rhode Islands Reds which have both not laid since July. The main reason I think was that I was unlucky enough to be infested with Red mites, which throughout August/September I was battling to see the back of. This involved constantly powdering the girls and disinfecting the hut and also replacing the roosting bars. It was the most unpleasant experience that do not wish to repeat!

At the time I thought I had cured the initial egg laying problem by seeing the back of the mites in September, little did I know that they would then start to loose feathers. I am not sure if this was a malting thing or linked to the mites. This soon stopped though and again but still no eggs.

The only other thing that I have noticed which could be a link is that post mite problem they have insisted in sleeping in the nest box and not roosting on the new bars, I assume because they now associate roosting with getting bitten by mites.

I feed them organic egg layers pellets and lots of scraps from the kitchen. Do you think it is a diet thing and that I should forget the scraps?

I would be grateful for any help

:unsure:

Vember

Re: Hens not laying... help!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 21:22 »
Hi Buttons

Welcome to the Hen House :)

Firstly are you sure that you have got rid of the redmites? Have you checked the girls over particularly round their vent to check they haven't got any creepy crawlies like lice.

Were they point of lay when you got them?

I would knock all scraps on the head and just feed layers for now, are they ok in all other respects? ie eye's bright, doing normal chickeny things, poops normal etc...

Sarah :)

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 21:24 »
Are they going into the nest boxes during the day or just at night. I know it's supposed to be the wrong time of year but could they have gone broody? My 3 all went broody within a week of each other and despite trying everything to put a stop to it, it was only yesterday that 2 of them seem to have given up and are out in the garden again, but it took 7 weeks!

Button07

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 20:04 »

Hi

I am pretty sure I have got them all although I must admit I have not checked for lice. What am I looking for exactly? Are they alive on the skin?

Is it best I treat them for this anyway as a precaution for the future? What would you recommend and how are they treated?

They only go in at night are fine generally, ie poops and behavior.

Thanks

Daniel

Daniel

I

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 09:16 »
Hi Buttons  :D 
                    Aunt Sally did a great Sticky on this have a look it should help you

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

Alby
wish I was a cat

sam on lewis

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 11:27 »
Look for lice around the bum area.

My chickens usually moult in oct / nov, then don't lay again until around january.

Nothing strange about not laying at this time of year.

I have some powder that I got from the crofter co-op ( sort of place where you buy animal feed and stuff like that) you put it down onto the floor of the hen house before putting sawdust down, it helps keep the floor dry and kills redmite and spider mite.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 14:18 »
Oh Daniel, poor you. I remember a time like that myself...it made me want to give up choox forever :(  But i'm glad I didnt. Getting rid of the red mite is no mean feat, well done you.

Other mites include lice and northern mite, similar but very pale in colour, and live ON THE BIRD, not in the coop. You can usually see clumps at the very base of feathers, usually around bum/tail feathers, or some live on crests/around the ears.  I think the chances are, all the work you did getting rid of red mites, will have got rid of the others too.  :) I dust mine, birds AND coops with diatom weekly, and spray coops with poultry shield. Its expensive, and a bit of a pain, but  I cant stand those little red devils.

Also, if they were badly infested, the girls may be a little anaemic, and so quickly followed by their moult, they must need a rest, might be Feb before they come back into lay. They need the well-balanced diet that good quality layers pellets give them, and avoid treats for a while, making sure they get plenty of the pellets.(the cheeky things have been known to just wait for their treats :lol:)

omg, this is turning into a HUGE post,  ::)sorry.

At night, run a white piece of loo roll/paper under the roosting bars, any sign of red dots/smudges...redmite!! If clear, just gently lift the girls and settle them on the perches. after 2-3 nights of this, they should roost again, thus keeping the nest box clean for eggs.

Thus endeth.....hope it helps,...sorry so longwinded :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

xx
hens not laying

Started by shaunie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 08:19
by joyfull
xx
Hens not laying

Started by DLBrown on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 20:26
by Fisherman
xx
hens not laying

Started by uncle rog on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2011, 12:30
by Helenaj
xx
hens not laying

Started by adi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 07:53
by adi

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 39 queries.