Is it possible?

• 3 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Is it possible?
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:33 »
Hi there

Is it possible for my hen to lay two eggs in one day?

3 days ago I disturbed my black rock while she was in the nest box and so she didn't lay an egg that day.  The next day there was 3 eggs so I thought one of my other girls had started laying but two of the eggs were identical even though I have all different chickens.

Since then I'm back to having two eggs a day.  Is it possible that she laid two eggs in one day or is it because one of them have just started laying?

This may seem silly but I've not very experienced and my girls have only been laying a few week. 

Thanks

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
Re: Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:37 »
Yes, it is possible, as the chickens laying cycle is I think about 24 hours, so if that day it was shorter or something like that then she could have layed two in one day.  I'm sure someone else will explain it better than I can, but basically yes they can  :D
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

Abacus

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 13:21 »
Our girls went into egg overlay and the four of them were laying 6-7 eggs a day! After a couple of days we realised that our neighbour was feeding them pumpkin scraps and when we stopped him doing that they reverted to the usual four a day. Probably a coincidence...
TTFN Jim
House Husband (Certified)
! Barnvelder Cockerel
1 Welsummer
1 Welsummer mix
1 Salmon Favorella
4 Rhodie Hybrids

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 20:25 »
Our girls went into egg overlay and the four of them were laying 6-7 eggs a day! After a couple of days we realised that our neighbour was feeding them pumpkin scraps and when we stopped him doing that they reverted to the usual four a day. Probably a coincidence...
I've noticed a trend in mine, if I give them a special treat I get more eggs the next day. I figured they were just saying thank you. :D

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 38 queries.