Harvesting hazelnuts

• 3 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Harvesting hazelnuts
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:22 »
Every year my two hazelnut trees have loads of fruit. When I Googled it, I read that the best or traditional way to harvest them is to wait until they fall on the ground. Whoever wrote that clearly didn't have any squirrels in the neighbourhood. Does anybody know if it's possible/useful to harvest them before they fall naturally? Because if I wait until they fall there's absolutely no way I'll ever get to taste them.

Debz

Re: Harvesting hazelnuts
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 09:09 »
Yes I used to go and collect hazlenuts when I was a little girl.  We had to take them off the trees because the fallen ones were always taken by the squirrels.  As long as they have started to fall, then they are ready to harvest was the rule of thumb we were taught to use.

MikeJ

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 14:10 »
You can take hazelnuts when they're still green, but they don't store well, and you're taking bit of a chance as to whether the nuts have actually formed properly inside. I foraged a few pounds from local hedgerows last year and found quite a few 'blanks'. Even so, what I did get made a very nice addition to crumble toppings  :D

Can't honestly recall when I went out gathering, but think it was Aug/Sept time to beat the squirrels. I've now got some bushes bearing in the garden, so hoping I can keep a better eye on them.
"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it" - Shaw

starry

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 17:33 »
I was thinking the exact same thing when I walked my dogs near our woods I was getting hit on the head by them and wondered how I could collect them before the squirrels I thought of tying a sheet between the trees but I think  people would think I am a bit odd but I don't know why the squirrels should get them all!!   :tongue2:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 21:38 by starry »
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

xx
Cobnuts, Filberts, Hazelnuts

Started by timdunn on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 16:42
by timdunn
xx
What are you still harvesting?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 21:42
by Madame Cholet
xx
Harvesting PSB

Started by someoneorother on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 12:57
by someoneorother
xx
What are you harvesting now?

Started by AdrianH on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 20:27
by yummy

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 38 queries.