Tomatoes / peppers in the ground or pots?

• 8 Replies

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes / peppers in the ground or pots?
« on: April 20, 2010, 16:58 »
Sorry this sounds like a stupid question but as my polytunnel is going on a site that is currently an old foxes den (or a huge hole) and will need new top soil / compost mix etc. Could I just plant my tomatoes and peppers into that or do I need to use grow bags / pots or something else? Duh!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Tomatoes / peppers in the ground or pots?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 17:23 »
I used to grow my Tomatoes in Pots, and have also used Growbags (didn't like them much) and Ring Culture in the distant past.

I now grow all greenhouse crops direct in the border. Two key reasons are:

Water less frequently - plants can get water from a larger area of soil, than just available in the Pot / Bag

More height before the Tomato plants hit the greenhouse roof!! (for the same reason I don't have raised beds in my greenhouse, in fact my beds are somewhat "lowered" :) )

Downside is that I choose to change the soil every year (I could probably get away with a couple of years).

I think I have a slight upside to this last point ;) the "soil" I put in the greenhouse borders is half well rotted manure, and half compost heap. Its quite rough in nature when it goes into the greenhouse, but one-year-on when it comes out, is lovely and crumbly, and cheers up the beds it goes on a treat (I avoid putting it on the beds where Potatoes will go in the next couple of years as Tomatoes and Potatoes have diseases in common)

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 17:25 »
My dad always plants his tomatoes and peppers direct in the ground in his greenhouse and it works well for him. I would imagine it has definite advantages as pots and grow bags do seem to have an uncanny knack of either being bone dry or too wet, the ground should hold a much more consistent moisture level.

I would plant in the ground if I had the opportunity, but my greenhouse has a stone floor so it's not really an option.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 17:49 »
I've sunk 80% of bottomless flower buckets in the greenhouse border  which I've half filled with soil. The rest I'll fill with compost when I put the plant in.

Growbags are a pain and need constant watering (well mine did), pots are going to use 8-10" of growing space and direct into the border means changing the soil regularly. Can't comment on how effective it is yet though.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 19:05 »
My best results for toms have been from grow bags!  Pots have always been ok as well!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 19:24 »
Choose whichever method you have the time and energy for, they all work.  Mine go into pots one per pot with a cane stuck in the top.  I stand them on trays to preserve water.  Spent soil goes on the garden. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 19:31 »
I've always grown mine in the border, I just replace the soil in the 'bit', if you like, where the tom was planted, not the whole border, and add a generous shovelful of homemade compost as I plant each one.
Any spare plants go in large pots of multi purp on the other sides of the green house and polytunnel these cannot be dug because they are too near to the hedge.

Both methods work, but I get more fruit for less work from those grown in the borders :)

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 21:27 »
Thanks people  :)  Think I will try using the borders this first time and see how it goes. All that watering will be easier all over, rather than fittering around with individual bags or pots.

antwilk

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:14 »
i tried the method mentioned in johns book about sunken pots in grow bags with holes pierced in to stop water logging i found it worked well but my dad grew in the boarder last year and all was well.

xx
Peppers in pots or open ground

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 24, 2020, 12:11
by jambop
xx
Pots for tomatoes/peppers

Started by Top Cat on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 30, 2007, 17:42
by Rob the rake
question
Sweet peppers in stoney ground

Started by Italian Bob. on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 20:54
by Italian Bob.
xx
Peppers in pots - how big a pot?

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 07, 2012, 21:06
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 40 queries.