Meccano addict on a new project...

• 8 Replies

Growster...

Meccano addict on a new project...
« on: October 14, 2020, 05:28 »
As a late-middle-aged teenager, I try and do as much shopping etc., on my bike, which is an electric lady, and a joy to take along all our local hills.

But catastrophe has struck!

I'd noticed a squeal coming from the rear wheel, and far too late realised that the brake block had worn down to the metal, and had gouged a scar from the rim, such that the wheel literally got the hump (thanks to KCC drain-cover People), and collapsed a mile and a half from home! The 'Long March' only took half an hour...

But here's the challenge! Refit a new rim, which was bought from a well-known conveyor of such items, (Ebay), and try again!

• New rim is slightly different diameter - tick.
    So the old spokes don't fit - tick.
    The bike people around here, including the big national one, don't want to know;  (they all like selling bikes, but only shiny new ones at £3,000 a pop and rising) - tick.
    I liked Meccano as a kid, and still do, so its the new wet-weather project - tick!

Lots of options, but it's all been dismantled, cleaned up and ready for a foray into the unknown...

...I may be some time...

GraciesGran

Re: Meccano addict on a new project...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 06:31 »
I'd have suggested Evendens at Paddock Wood.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 07:20 »
I'd have suggested Evendens at Paddock Wood.

I'd totally forgotten about them, Graciesgran! Shame on me!

Do you remember them when they worked out of a small garden shed in Maidstone Road? We always went there for second-hand bikes, and now they're in much larger premises the other end of Paddock Wood! A great firm to deal with too! I think there also used to be a place in Queens Road, Hastings, where I used to gawp through the shop window at the Triumph Palm Beach bikes...

Hmmm - you've got me thinking even more now - tick...

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 10:09 »
Kids first bikes came from the shed on the Maidstone road and were upgraded on a regular basis, all at least 2nd hand.  Great service, lovely people.  Still the same in the new shop.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 20:48 »
Kids first bikes came from the shed on the Maidstone road and were upgraded on a regular basis, all at least 2nd hand.  Great service, lovely people.  Still the same in the new shop.

GraciesGran, Thank you so much! I went there just this morning after a phone call!

They're still the lovely people we both remember, and were so helpful! We had a few laughs, some genuine help, and I'll get a call when they can sort me out! What a great firm they are! No frills, just super guys and Mrs Gal as well, who remembered my phonecall as 'Mr Spokes'!

(I now want the Bosch bike in the window - £3,999! Told the guy I'd come back - er - some day soon -  sure to...)!

GraciesGran

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 21:49 »
Glad you've got it sorted.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2020, 18:21 »
This is the story so far...

They just couldn't get new spokes the correct size (four years old, and foreign make)
Decided - around 3.00am one morning - to dismantle front wheel, which was the same sort as the rear wheel, and rebuild the back wheel using the front.
Back to Everndens, who were just great, but couldn't get the spokes for the new front wheel, as the hub had the same issue that the rear one did, i.e. too large!
Bit the bullet and bought a new wheel for the front - nice one too, they rang me the next day!
(Put old rim on Ebay - don't hold your breath)...
Re-laced the rear wheel to correct size and shape.
Replaced tyres just now and refitted rear wheel, just to see that the basic fit is correct - it is so far...

So tomorrow it'll be readjusting everything at the back, re-fitting the front wheel and disc brake, which may be OK, but the rear brakes may take a lot of patience!

Hey ho - I've also discovered a substitute for Swarfega - Cif!

(Might even cut the hedge too)!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 19:26 »
Phew!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 07:20 »
Sold the rim on Ebay - 99p...

...then found the postage was wrong, and over double what they had 'suggested"  :0(

Hey-Ho, out to the shed again to finalise the rebuild; the wheel needs putting in trim, the back light needs reconnecting, the brakes need adjusting, and I can't get outside because it's raining every blasted day!

The job gets easier in the shed as I have all my old cassettes out there, and play them on a daughter's old tape-to-tape! Anyone remember 'Alright now' by Free? Well, half the village does now...

(Not true actually, we banned loud music here years ago..:0~

xx
I'm Ches and I'm and addict...

Started by ches on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2019, 22:29
by ches
clip
New photography project

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post April 18, 2020, 15:39
by Blackpool rocket
xx
A simple project for a hot day.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2021, 15:11
by Kleftiwallah
xx
My latest project

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2020, 20:59
by Growster...

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 48 queries.