Russian Vine - help needed.

• 9 Replies

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« on: May 20, 2007, 11:48 »
I planted a Russian Vine  to grow over trellis to give quick privacy beside a wall.  I made a hole in the concrete and planted it along with a large leafed ivy in March.  (I had to nput them together, as it was the only place the concrete would break.) They have both been doing really well, but the Russian Vine leaves have started to dry and curl up, front the bottom, nearly to half way up, almost as if it needed watering, but I have been watering it profusely up until the recent rainy spell.  I thought they were virtually indestructable and I would hate to loose it.  :cry:  Has anyone any ideas, I've looked in my books and googled it, but can't find what it is.  :?

Thanks.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

WG.

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 12:02 »
Google turned up ...

Position: full sun or partial shade
Soil: any poor to moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil

I wonder if the drainage under the concrete might be the problem.  Either that or the underlying subsoil is basically dead.

cluckingmad

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 13:55 »
You haven't got a tomcat relieving himself on it have you?  :shock: might explain the leaves dying on the bottom half
Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty minutes.  No reward is offered for they are gone forever. (Horace Mann)

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 17:49 »
too much water?

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 19:45 »
I wondered if I had overwatered it in my anxiety to ensure it settled in Ok in that hot spell.  I did put a lot of compost in the hole, and the ivy seems to be doing fine, but I  have no idea what the soil under concrete is like, so it could well be that. I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope it picks up.  (No Tom cat, although it could be a passing visitor).

Thanks for your help.

WG.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 20:05 »
Quote from: "Bagpuss"
passing visitor
Glad to see you got the spelling correct ...  :wink:

shaun

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 20:29 »
if it is the same stuff a friend of mine had when he moved into a new house i would keep on top of it,he done the inside of the house after he moved in that took a couple of years and didnt do anything in the garden apart from cut the lawn.he had a detatched garage and at the back was this russian vine,it had got so out of hand in a couple of years it had covered the gable end of the garage and onto a the roof,worked its way under the roof tiles and lifted the roof of the wall plate,and his insurance company didnt want to know.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 21:25 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "Bagpuss"
passing visitor
Glad to see you got the spelling correct ...  :wink:

Good one! :lol

Yes, Shaun it is the same one, thanks for the warning but I am growing it up a trellis along a long wall, no building nearby,  and with concrete at the bottom it was my only hope of covering the area in a short period of time.  I reckoned I could always cut it right down if it got out of hand.  I didn't know it could lift a roof though. Maybe it will be my answer to breaking up the concrete :shock:

diggerjoe

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 15:10 »
Shaun is right with the warning. I planted a russian vine to drape over my garage it went under the conctrete and managed to break up the floor of the garage. It got so big as the more i cut back the better it got - then the garage roof gave way!!! it took some effort to get rid of it especially as i had a couple of wasps nests in it. Mind you it did look nice! No good in tub either as they break out - i think the term rampant climber a good one

Can i just say this site is the best - good growing to you all

mkhenry

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 20:14 »
Best advice I was given many many years ago was..............Never be tempted to plant a Russian Vine.You will always live to regret it..........Don't worry about soil conditions,under or over watering, concrete, compaction,feeding or over feeding.Once its on its way Nothing Repeat Nothing will stop it getting larger, stronger, and longer.It seems to eat bricks ,concrete, lintels, paving,and climbs over and under every thing in its path.Given ideal conditions it will take over your entire garden given time.Other than that its a nice looking plant. :lol:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

xx
Russian Vine

Started by LittleRedHen on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 18:13
by 8doubles
xx
russian vine

Started by slinky on General Gardening

47 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 19:52
by mrs bouquet
xx
russian vine

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 20:38
by chrissie B
clip
Ailing Russian Vine

Started by cheshirecheese on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2018, 13:13
by cheshirecheese

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.