Decisions.. Arkus v Solway v Doodlehouse

• 9 Replies

Lisa Hailwood

Decisions.. Arkus v Solway v Doodlehouse
« on: June 12, 2012, 20:38 »
Hello, I'm new to this forum and reasonably new to keeping chickens.  I have 5 ex batts, an Amber, Bluebelle and a Barred Rock.  I have a wooden coop which has been hit with the dreaded redmite.  After 6 hours of firstly power hosing, jeyes fluid scrubbing then applying Total mite killer to every inch of the coop. I am still seeing them.  I have made the decision to get a plastic coop and cut my losses.  I need your help as I can't decide out of the above to get.  I do not want an eg-lu for a few reasons but like the look of each of these.  I am really wanting something that is weather proof, strong and durable, doesn't leak and will keep my girls in the comfort they deserve (especially my ex batts).  I also want something that is easy to dismantle to give it a thorough cleaning so the dreaded redmite can't take hold again.
I would very much appreciate your feedback on all the above coops and will make my decision based on your opinions.
Many thanks.... I do hope I have posted this in the right place too.  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Decisions.. Arkus v Solway v Doodlehouse
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 21:00 »
I have the Solway arks which look a lot like a pig ark so may not be to every bodies tastes, they are very heavy so we have moved ours with our forklift. I also never take ours apart but do have access to a big industrial steam cleaner and jet wash so we lift them up on the forklift- take them away from the ground that they are used on and blast them clean once a year (the rest of the year I just do fortnightly clean outs).
I have had 2 eglu classics which are brilliant if you just have 3 hens or 4 bantams, so easy to clean out but I have too many hens to have eglus anymore.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 19:18 »
I have a doodlehouse mimi... Might be biased but I think it's probably the best looking coop for your garden, it's well built and easy to take apart to clean. On the downside the perches aren't good, I believe the perches in the max version are better but I've had to modify mine to be more fit for purpose.

Oh and when I bought mine they were being regularly sold by the designers on eBay and they were going for about 20-30% cheaper than the RRP.
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 20:04 »

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 06:47 »
Can't help I'm afraid, I am try to decide myself.  Thank you for bringing the Arkus to my attention.  Finally, a plastic henhouse with foxproof run, for more than 3 hens. (eglu cube just too expensive at £800).

It owuld be nice to hear from anybody who has an Arkus coop.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 06:58 »
The arkus coops look like they are made from the same material as the different Solway and green frog coops only thinner than the Solway. The run has 2" (5cms) holes which means that rats can get into the run - not ideal at all - they really should use 1/2" x 1" holes or at a push 1" square.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 07:51 »
Joyfull - thank you, you're right.  I need a second coop for a hospital/quarantine wing, but the plastic does look thin and  the fox could get his nose through the mesh to chew it.  Back to the drawing board.

Lisa Hailwood

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 19:30 »
well, I've made up my mind and just bought a Doodlehouse off EBay, really pleased as I got a new Mimi for 211.00 inc delivery which is a lot less than from their own website at 340.00. 
Just wondered if anyone else uses Astro-tuft inside their coops as they (Doodlehouse) recommend it.

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 22:13 »
Not used the astro turf yet but can see the benefits of just taking it out for a jet wash so might get some one day, currently using wood shavings

Colernehens

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 18:27 »
I have an Arkus coop, (for 6-8 hens) and it is not at all thin, in fact the plastic is very thick and extremely robust. During all this horrible weather my Arkus coop has stayed very dry and very clean, sadly I cannot say the same for my wooden coop, time to look at replacing it I think.
Would love to be able to buy a second hand plactic coop, just don't see many for sale.
I wonder why :nowink:

xx
Help with decisions

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 08, 2012, 10:45
by ANHBUC
xx
Solway Houses

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 17:04
by Pudding cloth
xx
Solway Eco Hen Loft

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 05, 2013, 17:34
by Bren200
xx
Greenfrog or solway

Started by Bren200 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 07, 2013, 20:28
by Bren200

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 39 queries.