New Doodlehouse Mimi - Perch dilema **WITH PICTURE**

• 27 Replies

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
Hey folks, i've been patiently increasing my knowledge about all things chicken over the last 6months or more and took the plunge recently and bought a Dodlehouse Mimi this week, i managed to get a deal and didn't pay the full RRP.

Anyhow, the perches are the only thing that lets the house down, they are very narrow and far to close together, that apart i'm very impressed.

I'm thinking about creating some kind of DIY perch set-up, i know there have been a few posts about perches recently so whilst the topic is still fresh in peoples minds...

I realise i have bought a plastic house which is easy to clean and hence hopefully will help me stay ahead of the little red mites... but have read that generally chickens struggle to perch on some plastic perches and can slip about on them. Has anyone tried to use a wooden bath mat as a perch? I know my ideas are a bit out there but I'm thinking of those wooden mats that you step out of the bath onto. ideally i like the idea of covering the vast majority of the coop floor with perches but not sure i should introduce wood into a currently completely plastic house?
Any feedback welcome

Thanks Andy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 18:47 by Hen 1-0 Fox »
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

dancing trousers

Re: New Doodlehouse Mimi - Perch dilema...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 22:41 »
I have an Eglu (a very kind hand me down from a friend).  I swapped the wooden perches for the plastic ones which have a slight embossed pattern on them but otherwise are fairly shiny.  My chooks seem to be able to cope with them fine, I think as long as the edges are rounded and the width is OK for their claws it's alright.

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 22:49 »
There are two problems i have, not sure if anyone else here is using a doodle house but i find the perches have quite sharp edges and are quite narrow. The edges aren't a problem as that could be sorted out very quickly with a bit of gentle sanding but the perches are only 1/2 inch wide and just over two inches apart. I suppose the girls feet may cover two of these narrow perches but the gap in-between wouldn't be good for their feet i don't think.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 07:30 »
I have a doodlehouse for my girls but the big version.  I've not had a problm with the perches- they all use them happily!  Mine have their toes over all three of the perches if that helps. 

I do find they bend a bit over time but the company are happy to replace- I guess my chooks are rather large  :lol:

kegs

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:01 »
Here are some plastic perches and I'm sure someone (Nerdle???) will tell you whether they are suitable.

http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.php?cat=Eglu&sub=Spares&product_id=920&product_name=Roosting+Bars+Plastic+-+Eglu+Mark+2

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 12:07 »
Thanks Kegs... Ive seen those perches before but the dimensions don't match unfortunately and I think that adapting them wouldn't be a good idea. Hmm that's interesting Nicki... Just out of interest how many ladies do you have in there and what breeds? I'm still setting up my chicken area and am planning on using four hybrids in my Doodlehouse. I guess I'll let the girls have a go on the perches and see how they get on, thanks for the replies folks!

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 12:17 »
Not sure it would work for you but if I were a hen I'd like a nice natural branch gently tapering so I could shuffle along to get the perfect 'perch fit'. 

I think pine or some particular kinds of wood are less likely to harbour mites and you could take them out and dip them in chemicals to keep them mite free (or am I talking rubbish)?  Although my old gal will sit on an Omlet grid thing from tonight I'm sure real wood must feel more natural and comfy.

This guy suggests eucalypt or pine. http://permaculturevisions.com/ChickenMansion.html
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 15:24 »
Hmmm... I chopping down a large eucalyptus tree in my back garden now... Interesting! Ha ha.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 18:17 »
I've got two Burford Browns and two Cotswold Legbars (hybrids really  ;) ) .  They are fairly big girls but they can all fit on one perch, i'm not sure how long the perches are in the max compared to yours though.  
I'd happily put another four in my house if I wanted some...

Think you will find they will be ok on the perches, my friend has your version of the doodlehouse and a couple of bantams- they manage fine on the perches as well  :)

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 18:40 »
Thanks Nicki, the internal dimensions of the Max and Mimi are almost identical, the Mimi is suitable for 6 Hybrids so i'm hoping my future four will have a lovely home in there. I have three perches each 66cm long running the full wide of the house a few inches off the ground, easy for larger birds to mount! I'm probably worrying over nothing :)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 18:46 by Hen 1-0 Fox »

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
Re: New Doodlehouse Mimi - Perch dilema **WITH PICTURE**
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 20:31 »
Hmmm those perches actually look different to mine!  Mine are made up of three close together, I put some pics up on this thread- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=84900.msg944500#msg944500

May just be the angle of the pics tho  ???  :tongue2:

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 20:44 »
Yeah they are different perches when you compare the two houses. Mine are individual pieces, they bend a little when I put some weight on with my hand so will have to watch how they fair with the hens sitting on them, although this could easily be resolved with a home made support in the centre of the span as these per he's are only about two inches off the floor. Yours look more feet friendly... Might have to replace mine with something more appropriate.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 23:10 »
I would contact the manufacturers with your concerns and they might have an aftermarket perch if they have realised the originals are not fit for purpose.  The Sale of Goods Act states that the product should be fit for purpose and that will include the perches so they should replace them or resolve the problem.  They can't do that if you don't let them know you have a problem. 

Hope you get it sorted.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 08:01 »
That's strange - I wonder why they've put them there and left a massive space in the rest of the coop?

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 14:16 »
I would contact the manufacturers with your concerns and they might have an aftermarket perch if they have realised the originals are not fit for purpose.  The Sale of Goods Act states that the product should be fit for purpose and that will include the perches so they should replace them or resolve the problem.  They can't do that if you don't let them know you have a problem. 

Hope you get it sorted.   :)

I have just emailed Doodlehouse.net and will let you know the feedback I get in due course, thanks for the advice guys!

xx
my new doodlehouse

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 17, 2012, 13:31
by SMS6
xx
Doodlehouse Problems

Started by SuzyQ on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 17:03
by Elvira
xx
Decisions.. Arkus v Solway v Doodlehouse

Started by Lisa Hailwood on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 18:27
by Colernehens
xx
Dilema

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 23:02
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.