soil

• 2 Replies

pod

soil
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:36 »
hope i have put this in the right place i am having a problem with my soil when i dig it comes up in big chunks like bolders i have been over an over it with the rotovator this sorts it out but not for long it just gose rock hard again and in to big clumps some one said sharp sand should sort this out i was just wondering if this is correct or if enyone has eny other ideas the help would realy be apretiated thanks  :blush:

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: soil
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:22 »
Your soil is clearly very high in clay and very low in everything else which would make it the "ideal" medium loam (which very few of us are lucky enough to have!)

You can't change any soil overnight, but you can definitely improve it in the medium to long term, and too much clay is probably preferable to too much sand as it has the potential to be turned into quite fertile soil.

My suggestion would be to Google "improve clay soil" which will give you many suggestions as to how to plan your strategy; THIS is just one.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
Re: soil
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 11:33 »
We had, and to some extent still have after 6 years soil like you describe.

It takes a lot of hard work, we made as much compost as we possibly could, bought mushroom compost, sharp sand and tonnes of top soil. 

Slowly it is improving but I think it will always be ongoing.  The only advantage of clay is that everything seems to grow really well.
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

xx
Uses for top soil

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 22:10
by Stripey_cat
xx
soil !

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2020, 13:22
by jambop
xx
Which soil to use?

Started by JoCranwell on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 20:50
by peapod
question
Soil mix

Started by compoQ on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 11:48
by digalotty

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 29 queries.