Hen or Cockerel?

• 6 Replies

indigo

Hen or Cockerel?
« on: February 18, 2012, 14:05 »
Hi
I have put an advert on here, regarding rehoming my two babies, which have turned out to be cockerels.  I know the one is definately - but I really am not sure about the other.  They are 21 weeks old. The one i am not sure about crows like a cockerel (well nearly - it isnt a definate crow like the other one) and gets friendly with the hens. He also has a big comb - but the head of a hen!
I'm almost certain (but not definate that I had an egg off him (?) the other week. And now he is outside rosey like a hen that has just laid an egg!  I am really confused by him.  He is a Buff Orpington - I will take a picture and put on here as soon as I can - but I was just wondering do cockerels  make a "just laid an egg" noise.  The other one doesnt. 

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
Re: Hen or Cockerel?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 15:57 »
not an expert and hopefully someone with better knowledge will come and help but you could try holding a piece of white paper under the neck feathers. if the feathers have a pointed end it is likely to be a lad and if the edges are rounded then you've got a ladette.

the colour of these feathers will also be more shiny and of a far more honey golden colour than the more general feathering of the rest of the body or that of the girls. luckily you've got the other boy to compare with.

good luck. it would be nice if at least one was a girl wouldn't it?
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

indigo

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 18:42 »
Hi
thanks for the reply - i will do the paper test tomorrow.  I have been trying to put pics on here, but it says they are too big - but when i tried to send it again, it said i had already sent it!  - So will keep trying.  It would be great to have a girl, but i seriously have my doubts!

indigo

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 08:34 »
Hi
Here is a pic of my boy/girl.  I am now pretty convinced it is a boy!  The crowing this morning was more pronounced! What do you think?

indigo

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:35 »
And here is a picture with his mum

tstainesmoore

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 00:17 »
That is 100% a cockerel

indigo

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 16:38 »
Yep - he is definately a cockerel - he's lovely, but didnt really want two cockerels! - will try again on the ads i think!

xx
Should I have a Cockerel ?

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 09:50
by Blobbs
xx
Cockerel Box

Started by trinamc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 08:58
by trinamc
xx
Hen or cockerel

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 18:56
by Asaunders
xx
Cockerel or not?!

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 18:49
by joyfull

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 39 queries.